Topic Sponsor

Next maintenance project, transmission filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Next maintenance project, transmission filter

Well, since getting a new timing chain installed, my mechanic said "we should probably look into that transmission". He drove it around a bit and said it shudders and I get that weird bzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound and vibration when shifting at about 45-50MPH.

I ALWAYS thought it my engine!!

Now I'm thinking it's my transmission. Ugh.

So I've never ever done anything like this but I should first check:

1. check fluid. It should be pink'ish right?
2. if not, jack up front of truck, loosen a few bolts underneath, let it drain
3. remove filter. are there bolts or does it just snap off?
4. add new filter, and new gasket?
5. refill

Does that sound about right?

I think I'll rent a compression tool to see my compression cause if that is kinda okay, I should probably get the transmission fixed before I get a new rebuilt engine.

If the above doesn't work out, and I'm still getting that weird buzzing...looks like from what I've read, is that it's cheaper to get a rebuilt/reman transmission and swap it out. It'll take a day somewhere right? If they have it already good to go.

I checked my VIN and I have an 4r70w aode transmission.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

1) yes
2) yep gotta drop the pan so all the bolts for the pan have to come off
3) It snaps in
4) yep
5) The refilling process is a little more complicated than just refilling - you are only losing about half of the total fluid (most likely) by dropping the pan (you might want to check about draining the torque converter - I have never done it). There is a manual somewhere that will tell you how much to fill after dropping the pan - then you need to run it and add as necessary. It also helps to shift through all of the gears after refilling so all of the valve bodies get lubed up properly.

A couple of buddies and I did a tranny swap and refill on an F350 in my garage that we are working on and it took about 4 hours from start to finish.
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth

A couple of buddies and I did a tranny swap and refill on an F350 in my garage that we are working on and it took about 4 hours from start to finish.
My worse case scenario is this. There's a really good place that gets a lot of great reviews for their rebuilt engines and transmissions down here in SoCal. Right now, they don't seem to have any 4r70w ones but lots of Ford Rangers ones. They probably have one but they probalby don't update their website.

But I'll try to do that in a couple of weekends. This weekend is my rad and harmonic balancer.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

When you go to remove the pan you want to leave 3 bolts at one corner for last; then you can loosen them slowly - the opposite corner will be dropping and most of the fluid will drain out there.
Some anti-shudder might help; the torque convertor is probably causing that shudder.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Some anti-shudder might help; the torque convertor is probably causing that shudder.
OH boy, not even sure where to begin looking for tips on torque converter (YouTube I guess).

Yeah, let me try some anti-shudder first as a quick fix. Then in a few weeks, I'll probably drain and refill the transmission pan. I understand I'll only be doing about 1/2 the full amount of liquid cause i'm not doing a flush.

Do torque converters need fluid change like your oil and trans? Is that something accessable like doing an oil change?
Old 04-08-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by ericantonio
I understand I'll only be doing about 1/2 the full amount of liquid cause i'm not doing a flush.

Do torque converters need fluid change like your oil and trans? Is that something accessable like doing an oil change?
The fluid from the transmission and the fluid in the torque converter are constantly mixing together. Therefore if you just change the fluid in the transmission pan, you will only have about 40%(the typical amount) new fluid in your transmission.

Now to answer your question, I believe your 1995 torque converter has a drain plug. Obviously it's best to change the fluid in both the transmission pan and the torque converter at the same time.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I think your 4R70W should have a rubber plug in the bottom of the bellhousing. That is for draining the convertor.
If you have that rubber plug, you can then rotate the motor by hand and watch to see if a little drain plug (bolt) comes into view
ericantonio (04-09-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on what transmission you have, for about $40, you can buy a Dorman trans pan with a drain plug in it.
ericantonio (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
I think your 4R70W should have a rubber plug in the bottom of the bellhousing. That is for draining the convertor.
If you have that rubber plug, you can then rotate the motor by hand and watch to see if a little drain plug (bolt) comes into view
I do have that rubber plug. I'm pretty sure I have a main seal leak. Not so bad but that whole area down there looks like a 5 month old had too much apple sauce and rolled around his butt in a diaper.

I definitely want to redo the fluids. I just want to do more research. I did see something about that plug and the bolt on YouTube.

Don't want to rush this thing.

My first step is probably rent a compression tool and see what my compression is. If the numbers are good and the new harmonic balancer fixed a lot of problems, then maybe I may not need an engine this year.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kymasabe
Depending on what transmission you have, for about $40, you can buy a Dorman trans pan with a drain plug in it.
4r70W AODE according to my VIN.

rock auto pics are confusing cause some filters/gaskets say 4r70w and some way aode. So I need to do more research to see which transmission I really have.

Oh wait, you are saying you can get a new pan with a drain plug! I see! That's clever

Thanks!