Topic Sponsor

M5OD "chatter"/grinding noise under load.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default M5OD "chatter"/grinding noise under load.

I just bought a 300k mile 1996 F150 XLT 2wd with 300cid 6 cylinder. The previous owner is a Lexus/Toyota Master Tech. He put a rebuild kit in the trans because it was due for a rebuild and was making a little noise. He said the noise went away after the rebuild but slowly came back.

The noise can best be described as a chatter or grinding while accelerating more than about half throttle. Mostly in 1st and 2nd gear. I honestly thought it was a broken mount/exhaust leak. The trans shifts like it's brand new.

My question: What can be worn that could cause a noise like that but not be a part that was replaced in a rebuild? I have a line on another M5OD but want to properly diagnose this to keep from throwing money down a hole.

I don't want to swap to the "better" ZF trans for a lot of reasons. Lol.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A buddy of mine had a similar problem with his Mazda tranny. Kinda sounded like a throwout bearing but didnt stop when the clutch was pressed. Pulled the tranny and ended up being the input shaft bearing (shaft has like 2 inches of play side to side.) Found it to be easier to just get a new trans. Other thought would be a release bearing. Sounds like you're pulling a tranny regardless!

Search this Thread