Topic Sponsor

Intermittent m5od scraping noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intermittent m5od scraping noise

Hello, all. I have 1990 bronco (close enough to an f150, right? I like this forum better!) Under the hood I have a 5.0 obviously with an m5odr2 behind it. Anyway, the shifter was ratting a LOT, and making some scraping noises in gear in the lower rpm range. Usually under acceleration, but sometimes it would happen cruising in 4th, at lower RpMs, let's say about 2 grand, as I'm not equipped with a tach. Under heavier, higher rpm acceleration, the tranny seems happy as a clam. Its just the low rpm range! No, I'm not lugging the engine, and I typically baby it in acceleration.

So I had my local under the table mechanic throw a new clutch and throwout bearing in the sunnuva gun. I took it easy on the clutch for a few hunnid miles, but that scraping noise is still there.

And just yesterday, it has started making that noise upon starting and I always start it in neutral, though it is more of a grinding than a scraping kind of noise when it happens at startup. And when starting the vehicle, the sound remains regardless of clutch position. The sound goes away on its own after a short time (I'm talking maybe 30 seconds)

And to clarify, these scraping/grinding noises are not 100% of the time. Sometimes the thing is totally silent!

Does anybody have any idea what this may be? This damn transmission is almost making me want to buy a remanufactured one! Or at least have mine professionally rebuilt, but I'd prefer not to because I , like many Americans today, am ballin on a budget

Last edited by cfoster1; 09-14-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 AM

Default One year later...

Are you still having issues with the weak M5OD? Honestly, you're better off swapping in a different transmission, because I have never heard a good thing about it ever. The only good things about it that I have to say is I'm the only one out of a few people in the neighborhood where I live who can airshift it without grindingnit, and I can shift it quite quickly and have been through my testosterone filled teenage years, and despite the failing syncs, it still manages to get me to and from.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I don't know about that. Guy's driving a 27 year old truck and the tranny's just starting to give him trouble. That's not a piece of crap tranny by any definition.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
I don't know about that. Guy's driving a 27 year old truck and the tranny's just starting to give him trouble. That's not a piece of crap tranny by any definition.
I'm not saying I've had any issues personally, but everywhere you look on the Ford forums they are not very well appreciated. The only reason I'm swapping mine out is because I need something capable of handling 600 ft-lbs of torque. And I know that little guy isn't going to handle it.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I hear you. But I wonder about the guys doing the complaining. It lasted for 20 - 25 years and it still works.
Now somebody's going to buy the truck with 150,000 miles and complain that the trans doesn't shift like a new one or the clutch forks are worn out or it leaks or whines.
They could rebuild it or buy a rebuilt one and it would shift like new and probably last 20 years.
It's actually a good transmission with a proven track record that gets a bad rep, mostly from people who bought a 1000.00 beater and can't understand why it doesn't perform like a brand new truck.
If you follow my logic on that one.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
If you follow my logic on that one.
I do see your point. I suppose they're not all that bad. Mine only has minor issues despite being my first truck, and it having been a farm truck before that. But she still has yet to reach the 150k mark as well.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Platinum Vendor

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Delete.

Last edited by RealTruck; 07-02-2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 07-02-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

That has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Platinum Vendor

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
That has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.
You're right. Too many threads open at once and dropped the wrong one in here. My apologies.

Quick Reply: Intermittent m5od scraping noise