Topic Sponsor

How to read trans fluid level

Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Jordan

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Every time I check my trans fluid, there is never a line. It's incredibly ambiguous, about a 2" swath of fluid on the stick no matter how many times I wipe and redip...

I know I've lost some. I installed a trans cooler awhile ago and even went through some leaks with it. But still the transmission fluid level is completely ambiguous.

So I don't know how much to add, and I don't want too much to froth the fluid. Thanks

1992 f150 e4od 5.0 xlt push button 4x4 etc.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

I try to go with a level surface, vehicle thoroughly warmed up, tranny in Neutral, engine idling to check level.

Insert the dipstick, wait a second or two, then pull out and hold level. Immediately roll over to look at the backside of the stick - this sometimes gives a more repeatable and definitive mark to judge true level.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mr7confused
Every time I check my trans fluid, there is never a line. It's incredibly ambiguous, about a 2" swath of fluid on the stick no matter how many times I wipe and redip...

I know I've lost some. I installed a trans cooler awhile ago and even went through some leaks with it. But still the transmission fluid level is completely ambiguous.

So I don't know how much to add, and I don't want too much to froth the fluid. Thanks

1992 f150 e4od 5.0 xlt push button 4x4 etc.
Well your suppose to check it in neutral hot on a level surface..with that said if you cant get a reading i would check it cold with the engine not running,i would think if you do it cold and it is full on the dip stick you might have too much in it away..just my 2 cents..someone else might chime in
Old 01-01-2014, 05:09 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Park or neutral. They're both the same except park locks out the wheels from turning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to read trans fluid level