Topic Sponsor

how much trans fluid do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default how much trans fluid do I need?

Forgot to ask, going to attempt the filter and fluid in a couple of weeks.

I will drop the pan, install filter, and drain the torque converter. Now that i know how to turn the engine at the harmonic balancer bolt, I can get to that TC bolt.

I understand that I won't be replacing 100% of the fluid, so in general, how much should I buy to cover what has been drained + 1 more for the just in case?

I see online 14 Quarts for all but doing the above will only drain how much fluid?
Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an AOD, but I believe I used approx 8qts when dropping the pan and filter. Also took the opportunity to add a drainplug to the pan at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by pma1123
I have an AOD, but I believe I used approx 8qts when dropping the pan and filter. Also took the opportunity to add a drainplug to the pan at the same time.
Alrighty! Boy that stuff ain't cheap! Up to 10 bucks a quart for certain brands
Old 04-20-2017, 07:12 PM

I did not use a top-shelf brand of ATF. I've read that 90% of AT failures are the direct result of fluid starvation and heat. Most folks get a 'flush' done at the local tire shop where they basically tap into the cooler line and do an ATF 'transfusion'. They forget the filter change in this process, and that would cause fluid starvation.

I'm sure somebody will say to buy premium fluid, and I can't say long term how using a lesser brand of fluid will affect trans life. But to me, clean fluid and filter on an otherwise healthy transmission should give it a longer lease on life. Just my .02.
The following 2 users liked this post by pma1123:
Energized (04-21-2017), ericantonio (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 PM

I'm sure somebody will say to buy premium fluid, and I can't say long term how using a lesser brand of fluid will affect trans life. But to me, clean fluid and filter on an otherwise healthy transmission should give it a longer lease on life. Just my .02.
yeah that seems like the consensus on the innernet. But hey, if everyone says eat dog food on innernet, maybe they are right or maybe they are wrong. But looks like doing a flush isn't a good idea. Just drop pan, replace filter, add fluids. Who knows. But $120 worth in parts for now sounds like a good investment.

Looks like the Mercon V is way cheaper on Amazon. 5 quarts for 32 bucks and getting 3 little quarts cost more than the 5 so I'll just get 2 5 quarts.

Do you have a DIY catch pan? Mine is round and I don't think it'll get it all in case I have it drip to one side. I'll probably get some cat litter since I'm doing this in my car port and don't wanna get kicked out.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:27 PM

I usually end up with something just shy of a haz-mat situation during ATF changes, and yes, Oil Dry is my friend! I leave a few bolts in and end up prying from one corner of the pan to try and control it somewhat.

The auto parts store had the B&M trans drainplug on hand when I was there getting filter and fluid, so that ended up as an impulse buy. Hopefully should be a cleaner job next time.
ericantonio (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:33 PM

I usually end up with something just shy of a haz-mat situation during ATF changes, and yes, Oil Dry is my friend! I leave a few bolts in and end up prying from one corner of the pan to try and control it somewhat.

The auto parts store had the B&M trans drainplug on hand when I was there getting filter and fluid, so that ended up as an impulse buy. Hopefully should be a cleaner job next time.

Well, I guess I'll head to Wally World and get a pack of disposable oven roasting pans and put them all around my catch pan. That should work!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I too have a basic round drain pan, but I found that the round plastic lid of an old garbage can works great, drill a few holes in the center and lay it over your drain pan.
I recently did my trans service with draining the torque converter and my truck has the e4od transmission, took 16 quarts. I bought Mercon V at my local Ford dealer for $5.15 per quart. Note: Valvoline is NOT Ford approved, so choose your fluid carefully. I also added a tube of the Dr. Tranny Shudder Fixx and my transmission shift is like night and day, super smooth now.
When I did my trans service, I also replaced my pan to one with a drain plug. I bought everything at Napa and was very affordable. If you have the e4od transmission, then the Dorman trans pan # is 265-805. I used the Napa reusable gasket, excellent gasket, part # ATP11482. And the pan is deeper than a stock 2wd pan, so I had to use the 4wd filter as it's a little longer. Good luck.
ericantonio (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kymasabe
I too have a basic round drain pan, but I found that the round plastic lid of an old garbage can works great, drill a few holes in the center and lay it over your drain pan.
This is so brilliant!!!

I recently did my trans service with draining the torque converter and my truck has the e4od transmission, took 16 quarts. I bought Mercon V at my local Ford dealer for $5.15 per quart. Note: Valvoline is NOT Ford approved,
Good to know! I put it in my basket on Amazon. I did have the reuseable seal on my cart but took it off cause the filter had one. So maybe I should get the reusable one?

16Q! Wow, that's more than I thought. That's with the TC drained? Maybe the e40d takes more? I have the 4r70w.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Find a big cardboard box and cut it open so you can cover the ground. Lots of rags on hand.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris_1:
ericantonio (04-22-2017), Sclove (06-10-2020)