Has anyone replaced clutch fan with non-clutch standard fan ? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Has anyone replaced clutch fan with non-clutch standard fan ?

Old 05-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #1

Default Has anyone replaced clutch fan with non-clutch standard fan ?

I tried to find a little info on this and couldn't find any, so thought I'd just ask. My 92 F150 has a 5-blade fan with a clutch. I was wondering, is it possible to remove the clutch and fan, and replace it with a non-clutch fan, possibly with more blades for better cooling ??
Kymasabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #2

Figure anything is possible if one wants to bad enough. One concern would be to ensure that the clutchless fan maintains the same extension into the fan shroud to be able to move at least the same amount of air through the core. Would think it's gonna be a bit noisier most all the time. If better cooling is desired, any reason electric fans or a heavy-duty radiator aren't being considered - cost being the obvious easy-button reason?
wde3477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:38 AM   #3

Well, right now, I'm not running with a shroud. I bought the truck without one. I bought a new shroud, but I can't get it on, can't squeeze it between the fan and the radiator. I tried removing the fan by unscrewing that one big nut that holds it to the pump, got the nut moving easily enough but as the fan unscrews off the pump shaft, it eventually contacts the radiator and isn't fully unscrewed yet. So, I'm guessing I have to remove my radiator to install the shroud, unless there's some other way to remove the fan that I'm missing. I just thought that a shorter clutchless fan would be simpler, and with more blades might move more air.
Kymasabe is offline   Reply With Quote