Topic Sponsor

Has anyone replaced clutch fan with non-clutch standard fan ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Has anyone replaced clutch fan with non-clutch standard fan ?

I tried to find a little info on this and couldn't find any, so thought I'd just ask. My 92 F150 has a 5-blade fan with a clutch. I was wondering, is it possible to remove the clutch and fan, and replace it with a non-clutch fan, possibly with more blades for better cooling ??
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Figure anything is possible if one wants to bad enough. One concern would be to ensure that the clutchless fan maintains the same extension into the fan shroud to be able to move at least the same amount of air through the core. Would think it's gonna be a bit noisier most all the time. If better cooling is desired, any reason electric fans or a heavy-duty radiator aren't being considered - cost being the obvious easy-button reason?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, right now, I'm not running with a shroud. I bought the truck without one. I bought a new shroud, but I can't get it on, can't squeeze it between the fan and the radiator. I tried removing the fan by unscrewing that one big nut that holds it to the pump, got the nut moving easily enough but as the fan unscrews off the pump shaft, it eventually contacts the radiator and isn't fully unscrewed yet. So, I'm guessing I have to remove my radiator to install the shroud, unless there's some other way to remove the fan that I'm missing. I just thought that a shorter clutchless fan would be simpler, and with more blades might move more air.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan replacement

yes you must drain and remove radiator to remove fan and fan clutch
Old 01-05-2018, 12:33 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Either the engine mounts are broken, or the body is shifted on the frame, or the frame is bent, or any combination of those. The clutch should easily unscrew from the pump hub withOUT contacting the radiator.

A clutch fan is the standard; a rigid fan is antiquated, inefficient, and counterproductive in cool weather. A hacked-in e-fan is LESS efficient than a clutch fan. It takes complex PCM programming & sensors to make an e-fan slightly more-efficient than a clutch.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this standard across this family of F150's? I'm changing water pump/fan clutch/thermostat tomorrow - and hadn't figured on having to remove the radiator.... (mine's a '91 4.9l i6 )

RS

Originally Posted by Thomas Dearing
yes you must drain and remove radiator to remove fan and fan clutch
Old 03-03-2018, 01:00 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

You shouldn't have to remove the radiator. On the 4.9 you may need a somewhat special wrench to remove something associated with the change. I bought the correct size combination wrench(box end on one end and open end on the other, you only need the open end) from the farm and fleet store. If you have a parts store that rents tools, you may be able to rent their special tool.

If you need more info I can look my stuff over tomorrow. Maybe some else will chime in.
The following users liked this post:
Rex Smith (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the special spanner wrench, as well as the right size open box wrench for the nut. Thank you for the quick response. About to finish my coffee, then get to it.

Originally Posted by 88xlt
You shouldn't have to remove the radiator. On the 4.9 you may need a somewhat special wrench to remove something associated with the change. I bought the correct size combination wrench(box end on one end and open end on the other, you only need the open end) from the farm and fleet store. If you have a parts store that rents tools, you may be able to rent their special tool.

If you need more info I can look my stuff over tomorrow. Maybe some else will chime in.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The radiator doesn't need to come out on ANY of these trucks to get the fan out. You can't use a box-end wrench, or even a common open-end wrench. It has to be a thin open wrench. I made my own, which I've used hundreds of times:

(phone app link)