Topic Sponsor

Front Gas Tank Problem..? (New here)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Gas Tank Problem..? (New here)

Hey everyone, my names Ryan, I just bought a 1995 F-150 Xl with 120,xxx miles and the 302. 5.0 automatic trans and the thing is mint, but I've noticed a few little things here and there. The only mechanical problem I need some help, advice on, is:

The front gas tank is not working properly. I use the fuel tank switch, and when the car is off, the gauge will switch obviously, and display the current fuel level of the first tank, which is about a quarter. When I switch back to the second tank, it will display the level of the second one obviously. When I try to run the truck with the first gas tank switched on, it will not start. The truck has a new radiator, battery, starter, and alternator. Therefore it's none of those issues to do with the starter etc. So, that being said, the truck runs mint with the second gas tank and I have no problem just using the second tank, but I would like some advice on what the issue might be. I was thinking a fuel line from the first tank, but there is currently a blizzard going on where I live and I can't really get under there and check it out. Any past experiences? thanks... Ryan
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Check that tank pump.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea its a very common problem...or i should say one of many with the two pumps. Check the switch first. If not that Jus replace the pump all will be solved....lol.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem along with a faulty check valve that would allow fuel from my back tank to flow into my front tank. Since my pump was bad it would fill up until pressure pushed it out the filler tube. I just removed the front tank and plugged the lines. Now I just use back tank with no problems.

Quick Reply: Front Gas Tank Problem..? (New here)