Topic Sponsor

Fixing the old girl up

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing the old girl up

Alright so, I have a 1992 f150 351w 4wd with an e4od trans and 3.05 axle. It's decently out of shape not that I can blame it being 25 years old and at 300k miles. Last year I had the e4od transmission rebuilt as it went out.

Over the course of this year I plan on fixin' her up to get her as good as new or better as next year, I plan on taking a trip to Kansas in her, and as it stands now, I'm afraid to even drive it 5 hours. So I'm looking to build it up to get better gas mileage (it's currently getting about an average of 9mpg) I also want it to be reliable and able to pull 2 horse trailer maybe twice a year or so? (about 5k lbs) . So far I'm planning on replacing/fixing/adding:

O2 sensors
new EGR (as I have a code that it isn't opening)
new exhaust manifold (current one has a crack on the driver side)
E4OD shift kit
suspension master bushing kit. (since all of them are pretty worn out and falling apart)
New radiator and tranny cooler
MAF conversion
Turbo (since when I'm towing horses it will be on the highway and I'll be putting a decent about highway miles on it)

I also plan on rebuilding the engine because from the mileage on it, and it's lack of performance it's about due for it.

I plan on adding 40GT heads
a new campshaft/lifters
and elbrock intake manifold

Any more recommendations? Also, I could really use some recommendations for camshafts/kits, piston sizes, and rocker length.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So digging around and into it, I do believe it has both the tow package and super cooling system. Which is slightly troubling to me as the transmission is known to run hot and I just found it has a tranny cooler on it.