Topic Sponsor

E4OD trans service questions: new pan? which filter? etc..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question E4OD trans service questions: new pan? which filter? etc..

Thanks for your help.
I have a 2WD '92 F150 4.9 liter with the E4OD trans and I've got a shudder so I'm going to start with a trans service, including draining the torque converter. I was thinking of installing a drain plug on the pan while it was down but found that for $35 I could buy a brand new Dorman pan #265-805 that comes with drain plug already in it and fits E4OD and 4R100. Then, I'm thinking of using the o.e. style reusable gasket that Napa offers.
The question is: what filter should I use with the Dorman pan? the shorter 2wd one, or does the pan require the longer 4wd filter ??
Old 03-24-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

I have this Dorman pan. It uses the 2wd filter. That is a better choice over the drain plug.

Yes, get the reusable Napa gasket as well. That is what I use on my setup. Be one and done with it if at all possible.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:06 PM

Thank you again. You keep guiding me in the right direction and I appreciate it. Picked up my Dorman pan, filter, and reusable gasket at Napa today.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I would use the factory Ford filter. I've read of the aftermarket filters having issues falling out. You can buy small metal clips to prevent it but might as well get the right gasket from the start.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:46 PM

Trans service is done !! New Dorman pan, new Napa filter and reusable gasket, filled it with Motorcraft Mercon V and one bottle of the Dr Tranny Shudder Fix and...I can't believe it's the same transmission. This thing shifts great now.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Did you try assessing the behavior of your transmission with the Motorcraft Mercon V before adding the Dr. Tranny Shudder Fix? Just curious as to whether or not the Motorcraft fluid was or was not sufficient to get it all the way back to normal.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by qdeezie
Did you try assessing the behavior of your transmission with the Motorcraft Mercon V before adding the Dr. Tranny Shudder Fix? Just curious as to whether or not the Motorcraft fluid was or was not sufficient to get it all the way back to normal.
Unfortunately, I did not. I've been told Mercon V has anti-shudder additives in it and may very well have eliminated the shudder problem on it's own, but we dumped in the Shudder Fixx without testing with trans fluid only.