Topic Sponsor

Drop rear tank or lift bed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop rear tank or lift bed?

My rear tank pump is bad. I can hear it kick on, but it's not sending any gas through the lines when I disconnected fuel lines at the fuel tank selector thing on the rail and turned key....maybe clogged strainer? Idk, still need to get in there to see. Is it easier to lift the bed? Or drop rear tank? Truck will start with starter fluid but won't stay running. I've replaced fuel filter and TPS. Anything else I should check before pump? I don't think there is as no fuel making it to the selector, but if I'm missing something please let me know. Thanks
Old 04-17-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Does the front tank work ok? I ask because assuming your user name indicates the year, the 89 would have the 3 pump system, with a pressure pump on the frame rail near the filter. As to access, I always pull the bed, I live in the southwest, so rust isn't much of a factor. the time involved isn't that different, assuming you have a couple of strong friends and a place to put it while it is off. One tip; pull the tailgate separately, that takes about 50 lbs off. But there is no comparison to standing upright and tinkering as apposed to crawling around underneath. Even with a lift, which I do have, it is a lot of contortionist moves to do it from the bottom. One more tip; take the gas necks loose from the bed at the gas doors, beats trying to put them back together at the tank.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 PM

No the front tanks filler house was cut when I bought the truck a couple years ago. Not sure why. I would want to drop that one and inspect before running any of that through my engine. You think dropping that tank would be a lot easier than the rear tank?
Old 04-17-2018, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dropped the tank. Not really difficult however reconnecting the lines before reinstalling is a little tough. It’s basically four bolts on the holding straps. I lowered it enough to get hands in there and disconnect the fuel lines and electrical plug. The dropped it all down and swapped out the pump. Again- raising it just enough to get my hands in there to reattach the lines and plug.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 89straight6auto
No the front tanks filler house was cut when I bought the truck a couple years ago. Not sure why. I would want to drop that one and inspect before running any of that through my engine. You think dropping that tank would be a lot easier than the rear tank?
I've done the front tank from the bottom, while it was not bad, you could just wheel or carry it to the bench, hooking it back up was a challenge. Even getting it back in place working against gravity was a pain, and the filler neck seems to want to fight every bit of the way, I managed to kink the internal hose and had to take it all apart again,. that's when I pulled the bed. I've done 2 this way, and will continue, I like gravity as a friend, more than an opponent. BTW on the earlier trucks I like the Carter pumps.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ll second what Eric said. The filler neck was beyond a pain. If I had the ability to pull bed (friends help and room to place it) I would have. If that’s an option for you it WILL and an easier reassembly
Old 04-17-2018, 09:49 PM

I recently moved out to the sticks, not really any friends out here yet. Anyone else have recommendations for brands of pumps? I'm going to buy the whole sending unit. Any brands to definently stay away from? Thanks for the advice everyone
Old 04-17-2018, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 89straight6auto
I recently moved out to the sticks, not really any friends out here yet. Anyone else have recommendations for brands of pumps? I'm going to buy the whole sending unit. Any brands to definently stay away from? Thanks for the advice everyone
Run, don't walk away from Spectra. The carters, have better than stock fuel gauge sending units, nice welds, apparently ok pumps & most importantly; plug and play connectors.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:35 AM

That would be nice as my fuel gauge doesn't work either. Hoping this also fixes the gauge
Old 04-18-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

This & the NEXT few captions explain how to pull the bed:

(phone app link)

This shows how the fuel system is set up, and the yellow thumbnail in this caption links to an explanation of the selector/reservoir:

(phone app link)

This explains the fuel level sender/gauge:

(phone app link)

AirTex is at least as bad as Spectra.

Quick Reply: Drop rear tank or lift bed?