Topic Sponsor

Drivetrain shudder/metallic vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain shudder/metallic vibrations

Ok, so a few days ago i noticed my 92 f150/5.8/e4OD syarted shuddering/vibrating when it was put under a load or even going uphill at a decent speed. I noticed that if i out a load on it in 3rd gear it happens until it downshifts to another gear. When it vibrates/shudders it also makes a metallic sound. Just for kicks, i ran the codes and its showing no/intermittent flow at the egr and a stored code saying it was running rich. I changed out the u joints and the vibrating still happens. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any replies!
Old 04-28-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm no mechanic, but sounds like may be trans related. If you haven't done a trans service recently, might want to consider dropping the pan and dumping the fluid. Some e4od's have a rubber plug at the bottom of the bell housing to access the torque converter drain. New filter, fluid, and some Dr Tranny Shudder Fixx may be all it needs.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:24 PM

Ok, thanx ill give it a try and let yall know
Old 05-04-2017, 11:07 PM

Ok, so to prevent excessive spending, i just threw some dr tranny shudder fixx in it to see what happens... as it turns out the vibrations stopped! So now i know to press on with the complete fluid change with the filter/gasket. (And with another bottle of the dr tranny stuff). Thanks all for the replies
Old 06-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, new here.
My new-to-me '92 F150 has recently acquired a shudder.
I am wondering if it is a good candidate for this product?

The truck starts and runs fine
Going down the road it will shudder only at part throttle. If I put my foot in it and downshift, then the shudder goes away... It also seems that I have lost some power at part throttle. Feels a little like the engine is bogging. The CEL is on.

This makes me think that I may have multiple issues. I just ordered the $20 code reader. Waiting on that to arrive...

Thoughts, comments???
Old 06-03-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, you could try the same thing Sauce06 did, throw in some Shudder Fixx and see if it helps, and if it does, them plan on dumping as much fluid as possible and installing fresh fluid, new filter, and another bottle of Dr. Tranny Shudder Fixx. My '92 F150 shuddered like mad when I got it. I dropped the pan and replaced it with a new, deeper Dorman pan that has a drain plug, installed reusasable gasket from Napa, I installed the longer 4x4 filter, drained the torque converter and flushed the cooler, poured in 19 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V and added Shudder Fixx and....my old E4OD shifts GREAT now.