Topic Sponsor

Driveline Vibration under load

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline Vibration under load

Hey all!
I have been the owner of a 1990 F150 2wd with a 4.9 I6 and e4od trans for about two years now. Ever since owning the truck I have noticed a slight vibration coming through the gas pedal and seat when driving above say 45 mph. It comes on mostly when coasting and at very slight throttle but goes away completely when I get on the gas. I have also notice a stronger vibration at low engine rpms when driving up a hill, but when I up down shift, the vibration goes away.

I pulled the rear axle cover and nothing seems out of place. There is a leak coming from the pinion seal and play in the pinion it self.

My inspections point to the pinion seal and bearing being shot but I was wondering if there was anything you all could say about and what the easiest way to tackle this issue would be. Any comment or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam
Old 01-12-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

If the pinion moves up and down or side to side, the pinion bearing is probably shot.
It's possible to change it, but it's a big job and technical re; adjusting pinion depth and gear lash.
Most guys would just buy another diff and throw it in.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:59 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

It's very common for the pinion nut to get loose on these trucks. As a temporary fix, you can remove it, clean all the threads with brake cleaner, let them DRY thoroughly while you clean the seal surface of the pinion flange (the shiny, oily area), apply red threadlocker (per the instructions on its packaging), and reinstall the flange & nut to ~200 lb-ft (yes, it's a LOT, and you need to use a good torque wrench). That should take up the slack in the bearing long enough for you to evaluate the axle, and determine if it needs repair/replacement. Repairing it requires special tools & a LOT of experience, but replacing the entire axle assembly is easier than it sounds (and often cheaper, if you find a good used one at a local JY).

That might take care of the vibration, but there are several other likely sources. Worn U-joints, old/worn/damaged/imbalanced tires, lug nuts torqued improperly (VERY common), contamination on the hub faces, worn suspension bushings, loose front wheel bearings, worn shocks, poor alignment, and (for the gas pedal) fouling of the accelerator cable against the dipstick. Click each of these & read the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: Driveline Vibration under load