Topic Sponsor

Differential Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Noise

I am new to this site but hopefully I can find an answer soon. I bought an 85 f150 from a guy on craigslist in october. It is pretty beat up when it comes to the body like rust and stuff but the frame is solid and the engine runs strong. Recently, the real differential has been making metal on metal sort of grinding and clunking noises when driving. Especially on shifting from drive to reverse it clunks and makes a metal ding noise. I can't seem to find a pattern and sometimes it makes the noise when cruising or coasting. I will accelerate and it will make the noise too. I have taken a look at the gear oil level and it was low but I bought some oil and filled it up and no luck. Can it be u joint or other connections or is this something bad with the gears inside. I cant really take off the cover because Im afraid of not being able to put it back on. Hopefully I can get an answer.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Well to really know if the rearend is ok , you will have to pull the cover off to inspected what's Wrong with it.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend I will but Im wondering if it is a pinion bearing or something like that. The driveshaft doesnt move when shook it is pretty sturdy but I bet the u-joints could be bad as well.

Quick Reply: Differential Noise