Topic Sponsor

Clutch, throw out bearing, or pressure plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch, throw out bearing, or pressure plate?

My husband bought a 92 5.0 f-150, manual. He said the guy told him he parked it about 2 years ago and went out and would drive it occasionally, but it mainly sat those two years. My husband drove it the 13 miles home, it was fine. Goes to get gas, and the clutch wouldn’t work, he couldn’t get it to go in gear. He bled the clutch, it started working. He drove it about 15 minutes, then the lever would go in gear, but it won’t move. Someone said it might be the actual clutch, the throwout bearing, the slave cylinder or the pressure plate. I can usually diagnose problems, but I’m at a loss for this one. I don’t do manual transmissions.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:20 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Does it not go into any gear at all? Does it grind when trying to put it in gear? What about if the truck is off - does it go into gear then? It should go into every gear relatively easily regardless if the clutch is pressed or not when the truck is off.

The transmission has an internal slave cylinder - there is an inspection window on the driver's side that is covered with a rubber grommet - you can remove that to see if the slave cylinder is working properly to engage/disengage when the pedal is being depressed (you will need a second person). If that looks to be moving correctly, then you can be pretty sure the problem is in the transmission itself, which would suggest shift forks or something deeper. If it is not moving properly then you have a problem in the hydraulic system/pedals that needs to be addressed.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:27 PM

It doesn’t grind. He can put it in gear, with the gear shift, and it “clicks” but it just doesn’t move. Also, when he put it in gear, and let’s off the clutch, it doesn’t die.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dirtbikekeeton
It doesn’t grind. He can put it in gear, with the gear shift, and it “clicks” but it just doesn’t move. Also, when he put it in gear, and let’s off the clutch, it doesn’t die.
I would verify the hydraulics are working as mentioned in the previous post. It almost sounds like the slave cylinder isn't working properly, making the truck think it is stuck in neutral. The slaves are notorious for failing in these things.

Also please verify the clutch pedal is operating normally - usually when the slave goes it causes a major change in pressure/return of the clutch pedal.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:13 PM

My husband and I looked at the slave cylinder. He said it’s moving about a half an inch. He said the truck acts like it wants to move. It will roll for a second. Then just stop and not go anywhere. Maybe 6 inches of movement.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:12 PM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

it should move a bit more than that at the transmission, if I recall correctly, perhaps you/he can get under and remove the dust cover and see for sure things moving/releasing or not..

What does the transmission do, with the truck off can you move the gear lever easy and then start the truck in gear, be careful as it may want to move, if it in fact is stuck in gear and the clutch not releasing.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:31 PM

The truck while n gear won’t start unless u push the clutch but if y let out it will rock but not move
Old 04-04-2019, 07:12 PM

The truck while n gear won’t start unless u push the clutch but if y let out it will rock but not move
How about pedal pressure? Does that still feel normal?

I am still confused why it won't stall out....its like it barely grabs to get it going, but then just gives up instead of grabbing and stalling.

The truck should only start with the pedal depressed, regardless if in gear or not. So at least that is working properly.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:50 PM

Pedal is nice but I do not know man clutch ?
Old 04-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

That sounds like the clutch, pressure plate, &/or flywheel are worn out.

Read these & the links in the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Read this & the NEXT few:

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 04-06-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Clutch, throw out bearing, or pressure plate?