Topic Sponsor

Clutch Replacement

Old 04-20-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement

Hey everybody, I have a 1992 flareside 4x4 and I was looking to replace my clutch due to issues with it not going into gear and upon investigation I opened that rubber access door to view fork and it was packed with a nest. So I’m guessing it would be needed to be replace due to the urine and etc. my question is I was looking at rock auto and I am not sure which clutch kit would be best for me. I’m new to manuals and was doing okay before it was parked. Is there one that is strong enough to take continuing to learn stick and haul heavy items?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

Before dropping the transmission to change the clutch it would be worthwhile to just clean the nest out. If you can get everything out there is probably no need to replace the clutch. Chances are good that nothing harmful got behind the pressure plate to the clutch disk. Good luck!

Jonathan
Old 04-20-2019, 12:01 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I agree - try cleaning the whole truck first. Inside & out. Top to bottom. Buy a set of ramps so you can get underneath easier, and blast the grime off of everything.

(phone app link)

This is a "before":

(phone app link)

This is after pressure-washing a few times (and pulling/fixing/painting/installing the engine):

(phone app link)

But you don't actually need a pressure washer:

(phone app link)

These albums show trucks that were abandoned in the woods for several years:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Once it's clean, I highly recommend putting rat poison pellets anywhere they'll stay in/on/under the truck. I live in the woods, so I keep it on all my vehicles, including mowers & golf cart. I use Ramik *****.
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-20-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
I agree - try cleaning the whole truck first. Inside & out. Top to bottom. Buy a set of ramps so you can get underneath easier, and blast the grime off of everything.

(phone app link)

This is a "before":

(phone app link)

This is after pressure-washing a few times (and pulling/fixing/painting/installing the engine):

(phone app link)

But you don't actually need a pressure washer:

(phone app link)

These albums show trucks that were abandoned in the woods for several years:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Once it's clean, I highly recommend putting rat poison pellets anywhere they'll stay in/on/under the truck. I live in the woods, so I keep it on all my vehicles, including mowers & golf cart. I use Ramik *****.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BUZL2Q
I think I killed the active mice I i had snap traps with peanut butter until they started out smarting me then I bought that green stuff they nibble on and die all last summer went away for a week and I found about 5 dead mice in October haven't seen any nibbles or bodies since . Plus I was able to keep my grass cut all summer. Around my mowers I had mint, and moth ***** aswell as the green stuff it seams cleared up so far. What do you recommend cleaning it with just WATER? It smells in the cab I'm sure they nested in the vents aswell
Old 04-21-2019, 01:02 AM

Whatever it takes, as those photo albums show: lots of water, PurplePower, Dawn, Lysol disinfectant spray, bleach, Febreeze, sunlight (UV), Windex, razor scraper, shop vac, shop air...
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 AM

I was finally able to take a look over the truck I removed the nest out of the bell housing and it was going into gear������ but my starter was having issues had it tested at advanced auto everything passed except the shaft doesn’t retract I was looking on rock auto is the tyc or power select a good choice is one better than the other?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:13 AM

No, those are both cheapos. You'd be lucky to get half your money's worth from either. Good parts cost a little more, but they're worth it. (Which is NOT to say that more-expensive parts are always better; only that better parts tend to cost more than the worst ones.) Shop Amazon, eBay, RockAuto, local parts stores, and the dealership for a MotorCraft reman starter (new ones aren't available). Just beware on eBay - if a starter was EVER rebuilt as a MotorCraft, it can be listed as such, even if its most-recent rebuild was by Jimbo in his garage, or in china.

BTW
We can help you more if we can review ALL your truck's details in your signature every time you post, as this caption explains:

(phone app link)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement