Topic Sponsor

That can't be right!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default That can't be right!!

I have been working on my 96f150, 4.9L manual, most of the day. I had a slight leak in the radiator. So I went to NAPA and purchased a shiny new one. Figuring, that since I was in there I might as well put in a new water pump. Well cant pull the water pump out without taking the thermostat housing off, might as well replace it an, of course, a new gasket. How old are the hoses, no idea, so I'll replace those as well? I walk out of there with all my new parts and the kit to remove the Fan Clutch.

So I fought that fan clutch for an hour, WHo ever thought of this idea? I finally got it, it certainly was not without a struggle. Now with fan clutch and fan out of the way I start removing the bolts for the water pump. The harness for the Misfire sensor @ the Crank is in the way. I tried numerous ways to remove the electrical connector could not. Could not even see how it came apart and it is right up against the water pump, and the electrical harness running to it is so tight I cannot get the pump off the engine. After closer investigation, I see that the misfire sensor is set on a stack of 3/4" dia washers. (Both sides)! That can't be right.

Does anyone know what the Misfire sensor mounting should look like, What should it be set on or mounted to? How does the electrical connector come apart? Does anyone have a picture of this mounting?Appreciate any help. I would like to put it back together.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

There's no point posting identical threads on the same BBS:
https://www.f150forum.com/f2/well-cant-right-411259/
Old 03-19-2018, 05:20 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Don't have a picture of a 4.9, but basically the timing case should have a couple of threaded bosses that it bolts to.
I would assume that somebody replaced either the engine or the timing cover and just jerry rigged it.

Quick Reply: That can't be right!!