Topic Sponsor

Been having a check engine light at high RPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been having a check engine light at high RPMS

I have a 1992 f150 2wd 5.0 with a jasper remanufacture with roughly 70k miles and I have been having a check engine light popping up when i put the pedal down lol could this just be a misfire or could it be more complicated, I am about to do a full tune up, motorcraft platinum plugs, ford racing wires, MSD cap and rotor, and an MSD blaster ignition coil, also the truck just seems to miss when cruising at low RPMS what could be causing this, and most pressing im getting 12 mpgs out of the truck is that normal if not what could i do to improve other than the tune up
Old 04-24-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Why not just read the codes? It only takes a paperclip (jumper wire). Click this, read the caption, and follow the relevant links:

(phone app link)

'87-up F150s tune themselves up ~200x per second, so all you need to do is maintenance, diagnosis, & repairs - have you followed the schedule?

(phone app link)

Until you find some specific problem to suggest there's a fault in the wires, cap, rotor, or coil, and you actually diagnose a failure in them, there's no need to throw money into aftermarket (usually Chinese) parts. The originals are usually much higher-quality. The Haynes manual (Ch.5, usually Sec.5 or 7) contains a thorough ignition diagnostic procedure.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

From my experience, these smallblock engines don't like expensive spark plugs - they run best on common Autolite resistors, or direct-replacement MotorCraft plugs. Read the VECI label on the hood above the master cylinder, and shop Amazon/eBay/etc.:

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: Been having a check engine light at high RPMS