Topic Sponsor

95 f150 5.0 to 4.9 engine swap

Old 12-21-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 f150 5.0 to 4.9 engine swap

Hey Guys,
I'm not new to the forum but I haven't logged on in quite some time. I have an old 1995 Eddie Bauer F150 4X4 with a 5.0L engine and a 5 speed manual trans that I bought several years ago. The truck ran but was in pretty bad shape when I got it but I spent lots of time and a fair amount of money fixing it up. The old truck is nothing special but I really enjoyed driving it around on the weekends untill one day a few months ago when for no apparent reason the engine blew. I wasn't driving it hard, Just tooling along, went to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear and all hell broke loose. Not sure what gave out but its making a horrible metal on metal thrashing noise.
My question is. Has anyone on the forum done a 5.0 to 4.9 engine swap? I live in Freeport Fl and have access to a 95 f150 2WD with a sweet running 300 strait 6. You may have heard we had a little storm (Hurricane Michael) that hit our area a couple months back and knocked a big tree over on my neighbors 95 F150. The cab is crushed beyond repair but the engine will start right up and runs great. I can get the truck for next to nothing and really don't want to spend much more money on this old truck. I'm a big fan of the ford strait 6 engines and I think it would be a perfect engine for my little 4X4. If anyone has done a 5.0 to 4.9 swap and could give me some tips on things to look out for or problems you may have had I would appreciate it very much.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:55 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I did almost what you're imagining: I put the '95 4.9L that's been in my '83 Bronco for decades into a '93 Bronco whose 5.8L had thrown a rod after blowing a head gasket. This photo album shows how I disassembled the '93 (to a far-greater extent than you probably need to):

(phone app link)

This one shows it going back together:

(phone app link)

If you want specific suggestions, you need to post specific details about both trucks. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
Old 12-22-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve, I'm sure some of your pics will come in handy
Old 12-31-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO find an exploder 5.0, retrofit your intake and exhaust and whatever else is specific to your truck and drive.

The swap to the six will be a lot of little things, some of which will plague you for the rest of the time you own the vehicle.

JMO. If you had a 300 and were talking a switch to a 302 I'd say the same thing.

Look at your cooling and exhaust for starters. Mounts. Accessory drives. ECU, gauges, it goes on and on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 f150 5.0 to 4.9 engine swap