Topic Sponsor

94 Ford F150 E40D Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 94 Ford F150 E40D Shifting Issue

Truck has about 189,000 miles. Automatic trans started shifting hard into 2nd gear, would rev up and then bang into second. Manually shifting from 1 to 2 then D works fine. Changed trans fluid & filter and replaced MAP sensor. Still shifts weird and seems worse. Could it be the TPS? Or do I have bigger issues, thinking maybe in the valve body or solenoid?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:40 PM

New to this and unable to start new thread. As my problem is, in some ways, similar, I hope to elicit help here:

E4OD Theory Need HELP

Trying to understand E4OD control signals.

1989 vintage. F-53 chassis
Problem is the engine brake quits after a few seconds with OD off ditto in manual 1 or manual 2. If I add slight throttle, braking comes back. Otherwise seems to be OK. Engine braking imperative for trip over Rockies!

Questions: What does the coast soln do? (Locks out coasting?)
What does the convertor soln do? (Locks convertor?)
How is tranni pressure controlled? I see some reference to electronic pressure control.

If I ground the Convertor wire and ground the coast wire, will I obtain braking? Is it safe to do this or will I damage my PCM?
How do I ensure the tranni is in high pressure when I do this? I don't want to slip!

Larry

Old 07-18-2016, 10:53 PM

Question Parralel Question on E4OD

New here, unable to start new thread but my problem is similar:

E4OD Theory Need HELP

Trying to understand E4OD control signals.

1989 vintage. F-53 chassis 125,000 mi rebuilt by AMMCO about 15,000 ago after OD failed.

Problem is the engine brake quits after a few seconds with OD off ditto in manual 1 or manual 2. If I add slight throttle, braking comes back. Otherwise seems to be OK. Engine braking imperative for trip over Rockies!

Questions: What does the coast soln do? (Locks out coasting, I think?)
What does the convertor soln do? (Locks convertor I think?)
How is tranni pressure controlled? I see some reference to electronic pressure control.

If I ground the Convertor wire and ground the coast wire, will I obtain braking?
Will this damage my PCM?
How do I ensure the tranni is in high pressure when I do this? I don't want to slip!

Larry

Old 10-08-2016, 11:33 AM
1994 F-150 4X4 5.0 XL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the TPS. IS your speedometer stable at 50+MPH? If not, the VSS on the rear pumpkin could be dirty or failing. I also replaced my neutral safety switch on the driver's side of the tranny. However, I still have a hard shifting problem - replacing the 3 components above only worked for about a week and really let me down when she started acting up again. I just read today that the RPM sensor could have an intermittent problem, causing the transmission to go into Limp Mode. I'm about to look at the connections on my engine to see if there's corrosion. I'm suspecting there might be because it's located near the TPS, and the wires going to my TPS were showing bare wire.

The E4od transmissions appear to need EVERY sensor working properly in order to shift correctly. I know mine's been acting up for a couple of years now and I'm sure it'll start doing damage if it's not corrected soon. She shifts like a dream when working properly though!

Please keep us posted on what cures your problem - I may still be hunting for the answer... I'll do the same :-)
Old 10-16-2016, 05:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my ABS light on and it shifted hard, no speedo. Changed the rear diff sensor and still had the issue. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. Removed the wire loom in the rear on the driver side from the diff ABS sensor. The wire had a crack in it. Replaced about 4 inches of that wire and never had another problem. Was told it is common for the wire to break back there. It all runs together so 1 issue is another issue.
Worth a check.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:04 PM
1994 F-150 4X4 5.0 XL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I tried looking at my RPM sensor wiring, but it appears to be hidden behind the power steering pump and I wasn't about to take that apart. I drove it quite a bit today around town and while it did shift perfectly almost all day, there was one 10 minute trip where it shifted very hard. I was also told that I didn't have any reverse lights. I did replace the neutral safety switch a couple of weeks ago and thought I aligned the marks up fine, but apparently not. I'll adjust that again soon and report back. To the O.P. - it may be something simple. If your NSS is gray, there was a design change in 1995 or 1996 that made these less likely to have hard shifts (the replacements are black plastic) due to sensor failure. I'm still hoping it's not something internal!
Old 10-23-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

check fuses under dash. think it was 13 that causes this cant remember
Old 10-23-2016, 04:48 PM

Default e40d trans shifting.

I have a 1992 F150 with the e4od trans. It started about two weeks ago. It started shifting hard coming home from work one day. It shifted so hard it jerked my head back between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. what could be causing this.

fluid level ok
put seafoam trans cleaner in and started shifting smoother but still not right.

it seems to get worse as truck warms up.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:00 PM

I have a 1995 f150 302 5.0 with the e40d transmission speed density. that was originally stock with a 5.8 351w engine, I am having trouble finding the correct ecm for the new 302 and e40d setup can someone please help me out here? Also it's stock cam not roller rockers or e303 or HO, thanks
Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 PM

Bump...

Any resolution to this issue? OP, did you get it working, and if so, what was the problem?

Curious, because I have the same problem with my truck.

Quick Reply: 94 Ford F150 E40D Shifting Issue