Topic Sponsor

'94 5.8L E4OD into '93 5.0L E4OD ecu and trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '94 5.8L E4OD into '93 5.0L E4OD ecu and trans issue

Will an ECU from a '94 EB Bronco swap into a '93 XL long bed (with 5.0L and E4OD)? I have finally gotten the truck together! Swapped the entire front end [axle, sheet metal, 5.8l and E4OD (I rebuilt and added a shift kit), and wiring harness). Initially, I installed all the abs from the Bronco but found I had to switch back to the F150 braking due to having to use the truck harness as I didn't want to mess with splicing the dual fuel tank leads, etc. I also installed the Bronco ecu.

The truck runs beautifully, but... I have no trans engagement at all and now its locked up, so I wonder if I put the check ***** in the wrong spot or something else. I'm getting a used trans to swap, but before I do I want to be sure its not an ecu thing. I have read here that there was a change from OBDI to OBDII in these years and wondering if that could be it. But I have also read (in the 16 pages of my search here) that as long as both trucks had the E4OD it might not matter if I had used the 5.0 ecu.

Please help... My painter won't paint it if he has to push it around.

Its running but not rolling. Have the 31s on to do the alignment before the big rubbers.

Last edited by brianjohnson.geo; 10-16-2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 10-18-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The change from OBD 1 to OBD2 came in 96 (some say very late 95, but 96 was the year of the international federal mandate).
93 and 94 were both definitely OBD1.
That said, a lot of upgrades were being done to the E4OD pretty much every year up until 95-96 when they finally got the bugs worked out.
Point is that the 93 ECU and wiring may be having trouble controlling the 94 trans. Not sure if the wiring changed, but the ECU might well have.
Could be a matter of changing the ECU or moving the locations of some of the wires in the plugs - or both.
Have to compare the 2 trans harnesses real carefully or compare 2 wiring diagrams and the wire pin locations on the plugs.
The following users liked this post:
brianjohnson.geo (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 05:46 PM

Update--- Truck is finally painted and assembled. (

Now she has all her clothes on!

Fresh clear coat!

One layer of Raptor lining.

Unmasked and ready to bolt on
I shot the bed with Raptor lining and have to say I'm totally impressed! not as thick as LineX but two coats would do it for a fraction the cost.) I have the original xl harness in there as the bronco harness has many of the same connections as the xlt (I scrapped a 95 xlt 5.8l for the engine, trans, ecu and other parts). It seems the '94 Bronco computer is not suited for the XL. Fuel guage isn't working, speedometer not registering, a check engine light when all connections are secure and the trans is shifting like poop with the Bronco ECU! I got rid of the original ECU from the xl (5.0L) and am looking for an approriate '94 XL with E4OD. I thought it may be the trans as I got this one used from a shady guy in the mountains and have another to swap.

Everything I'm reading emphasizes matching the components with the computer (maf etc). What I'm asking for help on is all the sub-models or variants that are available for the F150 have different ending #'s. can anyone suggest a few to look for? it a '93 F150 XL4wd with a '94 5.8l out of a bronco installed. I was going to use the '95 ECU but that has a different intake.

Thanks for any bones you throw my way!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Not something I've tried, but with all the money & time you've spent trying to match up a factory ECU, a stand alone trans controller begins to make some sense. http://www.usshift.com/usq4.shtml
brianjohnson.geo (03-29-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by brianjohnson.geo
I have the original xl harness in there as the bronco harness has many of the same connections as the xlt (I scrapped a 95 xlt 5.8l for the engine, trans, ecu and other parts). It seems the '94 Bronco computer is not suited for the XL. Fuel guage isn't working, speedometer not registering, a check engine light when all connections are secure and the trans is shifting like poop with the Bronco ECU! ... Everything I'm reading emphasizes matching the components with the computer (maf etc). What I'm asking for help on is all the sub-models or variants that are available for the F150 have different ending #'s. can anyone suggest a few to look for? it a '93 F150 XL4wd with a '94 5.8l out of a bronco installed. I was going to use the '95 ECU but that has a different intake.
The intake & EEC are not the problem. The EEC has nothing to do with the gauges, including the speedometer.

Your problem is that you've mixed up the wiring harnesses. Even though they use many of the same connectors, and will plug together, the wiring IS NOT THE SAME from year to year; ESPECIALLY from '91-96, when there were substantial changes each year, AND substantial differences among similar-looking trucks of the same year. You need to decide what year/engine/trans/#WD/options you want your truck to be, and put it together that way, using as much wiring from ONE donor truck as you can find. If you continue with your piecemeal harness, you'll have continual problems with circuit faults, requiring complicated diagnosis & extensive (exPensive) modifications to make the mismatched harness sections work together (to some degree).

This is about half the harness out of one of my '93 Broncos:

(phone app link)

This is just a hint of what I did to the one I'm driving now to add some modern features to it:

(phone app link)

What you've done so far would be SIGNIFICANTLY more work than what I did, and I spent over a year on it. I haven't even started on the wiring mods for the one I'm building now.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Update--- Truck is finally painted and assembled. (

Now she has all her clothes on!

Fresh clear coat!

One layer of Raptor lining.

Unmasked and ready to bolt on
I shot the bed with Raptor lining and have to say I'm totally impressed! not as thick as LineX but two coats would do it for a fraction the cost.) I have the original xl harness in there as the bronco harness has many of the same connections as the xlt (I scrapped a 95 xlt 5.8l for the engine, trans, ecu and other parts). It seems the '94 Bronco computer is not suited for the XL. Fuel guage isn't working, speedometer not registering, a check engine light when all connections are secure and the trans is shifting like poop with the Bronco ECU! I got rid of the original ECU from the xl (5.0L) and am looking for an approriate '94 XL with E4OD. I thought it may be the trans as I got this one used from a shady guy in the mountains and have another to swap.

Everything I'm reading emphasizes matching the components with the computer (maf etc). What I'm asking for help on is all the sub-models or variants that are available for the F150 have different ending #'s. can anyone suggest a few to look for? it a '93 F150 XL4wd with a '94 5.8l out of a bronco installed. I was going to use the '95 ECU but that has a different intake.

Thanks for any bones you throw my way!

Well done. Looks great.

There were a lot of wiring changes just from 93 to 94. Especially in the dash and cluster. For example, you cannot purchase an instrument cluster from a 94 and put it in a 93. '94 was also when they started using MAF in the 5.0 automatics. The 5.8 autos did not see MAF until 95, and even then they were pretty rare. 96 is just a deal breaker all around because it was OBD2. For the amount of money and time you are spending, I would quit messing around with piecing together a harness and checkout fiveology racing's MAF kits.

https://shop.fiveologyracing.com/198...KIT-FSEMAK.htm
Old 03-27-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Well done. Looks great.

There were a lot of wiring changes just from 93 to 94. Especially in the dash and cluster. For example, you cannot purchase an instrument cluster from a 94 and put it in a 93. '94 was also when they started using MAF in the 5.0 automatics. The 5.8 autos did not see MAF until 95, and even then they were pretty rare. 96 is just a deal breaker all around because it was OBD2. For the amount of money and time you are spending, I would quit messing around with piecing together a harness and checkout fiveology racing's MAF kits.

https://shop.fiveologyracing.com/198...KIT-FSEMAK.htm
Thanks for the replies!

I completely forgot to say that the trans rebuild was a fail... I dropped the pan and found fresh bushing shavings so I bought another used one to get it to the painter. It shifts hard and searches for shifts so I'm pretty certain its worn out. I have a recently rebuilt one to swap in shortly. AND, I also have the '94 EEC from the bronco installed.

So, I haven't done any cutting or splicing into original XL harness that came with the truck. All I had to do was redo the battery ground. All of the engine connectors match the original 5.0 with no extras or incompatibilities.

From what I gather, my problems lie in the wrong gauge cluster (sold the xl for parts and wanted to use the Bronco's with mileage to match the engine, oh well) and the EEC. Finding the correct years will take care of it?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

I completely forgot to say that the trans rebuild was a fail... I dropped the pan and found fresh bushing shavings so I bought another used one to get it to the painter. It shifts hard and searches for shifts so I'm pretty certain its worn out. I have a recently rebuilt one to swap in shortly. AND, I also have the '94 EEC from the bronco installed.

So, I haven't done any cutting or splicing into original XL harness that came with the truck. All I had to do was redo the battery ground. All of the engine connectors match the original 5.0 with no extras or incompatibilities.

From what I gather, my problems lie in the wrong gauge cluster (sold the xl for parts and wanted to use the Bronco's with mileage to match the engine, oh well) and the EEC. Finding the correct years will take care of it?
I don't know if just the cluster is going to solve it. I think you need the 93 computer too. You can keep fhe PSOM from the bronco so you have the mileage you want.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

All of the engine connectors match the original 5.0 with no extras or incompatibilities.
The CONNECTORS aren't the problem - it's the CIRCUITS (wire routing) that pass through the connectors.
No.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
The CONNECTORS aren't the problem - it's the CIRCUITS (wire routing) that pass through the connectors.No.
I have the Motor manual that should have the schematics- I need to go through the loom wire by wire to match up the correct ones? Based on the few things I can see going on I can't imagine it would be too many to correct (hopefully less than a dozen). Am I being naive that once I id them I will be doing a bit of splicing to correct it all?

And yes BLDTruth, I am going to get the correct cluster (I will swap out the PSOM) and EEC for that year.

Quick Reply: '94 5.8L E4OD into '93 5.0L E4OD ecu and trans issue