Topic Sponsor

1996 F250 Limited Slip Options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Cardifan5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 F250 Limited Slip Options?

I have a 96 F250 with an open differential. my pinion seal is shot, so im basically just gonna use that as an excuse to throw a limited slip in place of the open differential while im at it. Ive been wanting to do it since i got the truck.
My question is, what is the best limited slip i can get? Are there aftermarket ones that are tougher/longer lasting than factory?
Rockauto has the factory Ford Trac Loc option (which i assume is limited slip?), for 600. Is there a better alternative to this? or should i go ahead and get it.
Also, it has the trac loc (35 spline) with a 3 pinion design, and another option (also 35 spline) with a 2 pinion design. I have a full floating axle, so would i go with the 3 pinion design?
Thanks
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 PM
D60

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do anything BUT a Trac-Lok. IMO they're terrible and don't do anything even when new. Your options for the 10.25 will be kind of limited, I doubt there's a Powr-Lok available, but I don't know for certain. An Auburn would be a good choice if available.

Seriously, get a Detroit and never look back. You'll learn it's quirks in no time, appreciate the no-nonsense traction and complete bombproofness (sure it's a word). Limited slips are for street cars, lockers are for trucks

Quick Reply: 1996 F250 Limited Slip Options?