Topic Sponsor

1996 F150 rough idle stalling, low power

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy 1996 F150 rough idle stalling, low power

Hi, I recently picked up a 1996 F150 with a 5.0 and automatic, It has had an Edelbrock intake and short tube headers put on it by a previous owner, and maybe a more aggressive cam (it won't idle right so I can't be sure) I bought it from a friend, who bought it from a younger guy, who couldn't get it to run right. My friend replaced the fuel filter, the TPS, the Oxygen sensor, The IAC sensor, the MAF, I had it idling better by playing with the timing, but then it got worse again. I put vacuum to the EGR while it was idling (when it was idling better) and it killed the engine, so I don't thing there is a problem there. I pulled the codes, and got these: P0172, P0300, P1151, P1506, P0133, P0155, P1409, and P1132 I can't remember if I checked the fuel pressure now, so I will do that to be sure, but this is driving me crazy, it surges, and the idle sounds like a high performance cam, but no way of knowing if that's just part of the problem, or if it does have a cam. When accelerating, it doesn't miss, or break up, but isn't putting out full power, a compression test showed 145-155 on all cylinders, so no weak compression, maybe a vacuum leak? I don't have a vacuum gauge right now, so I can't get a vacuum reading right now. I do need to buy another one though. The friend I bought it from mentioned a "spout" or "sprout" that has to do with the timing, and that the truck should show a noticeable difference when that is disconnected when it's idling, but that this one doesn't? I am not familiar with what he is talking about though. Any help will be highly appreciated! HELP !! Lol
Old 04-19-2015, 12:54 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

SPark OUTput

In order to properly set the timing you must disconnect the spout before beginning.
133-o2 circuit low
155-bank2 sensor1 o2
172-o2 sensor-single/right/rear
300-random/multiple misfire
1132- Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 1
1151-Ho2 sensor (final reading out of spec)
1409- EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
1506-IAC Over Speed Error

Since you have codes for more than one electrical sensor out of range it makes me think your issue may be electronic in origin. With the mods you mentioned someone may have swapped out ICM or ECU for "better performance" which could cause major issues. Verify (through part #s) that they are correct for the truck. You should probably also verify the MAF.

The TPS should be Motorcraft, replacing with other brands tends to cause issues.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That's an older distributor in fltdriver's picture. Your spout plug looks like that, but it's over by the driver's side hood hinge area. In that pic the ICM is on the distributor, yours will be bolted to the driver's fender below the hood hinge.
If somebody's been throwing parts at it, you need to verify that it's the proper ICM and the proper coil. You also need to test the TPS with a voltmeter and ensure that it's adjusted correctly, because it is adjustable and people who don't know that will simply install a new one without setting it and wonder why their throttle acts strange.

Quick Reply: 1996 F150 rough idle stalling, low power