Topic Sponsor

1995 F-150 300-6 issues. Would like insight.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 PM
N00B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1995 F-150 300-6 issues. Would like insight.

Hello all,

I have a few issues I would like to discuss with you and see if I can't get some useful information. I'll list them off and describe them, but first I'll give my specs as reference. I have a 1995 F-150 XL 4.9L I6. It is a 5-Speed manual, 2wd. around 170K mileage.

Problem #1:

Okay first issue I have is one that comes and goes from time to time. When I am on the road, after I get above say either 15 to 20 mph, there is frequently a high pitched whine that seems to give noise in intervals. Its like a yun-yun-yun-yun (great description, right?) sort of sound that seems to repeat quicker and quicker as I increase in speed. I don't hear it on the highway, though that may be because of wind noise. Some days, it sounds as if there are multiple sets of the exact same sound coming from my truck. It never occurs when idling, or below 10 miles an hour. Gear doesn't seem to matter either. I've researched and found it could be a few different things. My wheel assemblies or rear-axle could hold the culprit. But that is all I know, and those conclusions are not definite or confirmed. It hasn't impacted driving performance, it is more of an annoyance. I worry that it could be the sound of something serious, however. Any ideas?

Problem #2:

It seems as though in gears 1 through 3, when I accelerate hard (as in pedal all the way down) I hear a rapid metallic jittering or squeaking. I suspect the transmission, but am not experienced enough to say so for sure. This also doesn't seem to impact performance, but I am taking it easy to be safe. It isn't always present, but most of the time it is. Any ideas?

Problem #3

This issue is consistent. When I accelerate and hit 40 mph, my entire vehicle rumbles, like the whole road is made of rumble bars. It isn't that severe, but that is a good description to me. The rumbling cuts off at almost exactly 39 mph if I slow down, and somewhere around 50 mph if I speed up. If I hold speed in this range, my vehicle will continue to rumble without end, and with varying severity(worst being at exactly 40). I've noticed something similar at only 20 mph, but seems to rumble when going above or below the 20 mark, and not when I hold that speed. Gears that I am in do not seem to matter. I really don't know where to start here, so...Any ideas?

Problem #4:

Alright, this is beginning to drag on. I apologize for the book. The last issue is that of a broken hose. If you were to look at my truck from behind, squat down and view the rear axle, toward the middle of the left shaft there is a hose. This hose is black and about a 1/2 or so in diameter. It is snapped off about where it is connected to the axle. I'm not sure what this is for, but it is common sense that when a part is broken...it probably does not work. (Gee really?) I would like to know what this is, if anyone could tell me.

Okay...I could go on with more issues, but I was annoying myself by placing me in your shoes reading this. I thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read and help with this. If you want further clarification or information on any of these four issues, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be researching these, and if I come up with a solution, I'll post it here. I really do wish to get some feedback on these though, so help if you can. Once again, thanks. Happy Summer!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked your engine and tranny mounts? If they are broken they can give noise.

Sounds like your hose goes to the axle vent ...
The following users liked this post:
ArkFiddy (06-11-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-re...es-obdi-10907/

Could be a u joint,rear dif,transfer case. Check the fluids in both. And get under the truck and lube the joints and twist/slide all the drive lines. And # 4 sounds like the vent as 123 said. Maybe a rear brake shoe even separated.
ArkFiddy (06-11-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For problem 1: Possibilities are dry wheel bearings, u-joints or bad drive shaft center support bearing(if equipped)

Problem 2: Could be something as simple as something loose on the exhaust(hangers, heat shields on cats etc) Check those

Problem 3: Is it the engine/ tranny or is it a kind of vibration? Check your engine mounts and balance tires, check your driveshaft to see if it might be slightly bent/ warped.
ArkFiddy (06-11-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

All first three things can be caused by a bad u joint. Last thing sounds like the axle vent tube.
ArkFiddy (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 PM
N00B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the timely response. I'm going to mull over these ideas and let you know how it works out. [MENTION=124028]Aktech[/MENTION], the dummy light never comes on with any frequency, should I still try and pull codes? Something else I should have mentioned is that my ABS light comes on very often, right after ignition and stays on the duration of a lot of trips. Once I get the time I will get back to you all. Thank ya!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

I would pull codes to see if it is vss sensor codes. As for your abs light others know more about that than me. I do know to pull abs codes when the abs light is on.

Quick Reply: 1995 F-150 300-6 issues. Would like insight.