Topic Sponsor

Thoughts on the KYB 565063 Monomax rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on the KYB 565063 Monomax rear shocks

So to introduce my self
I am from up in Wisconsin, and this is my second truck. My first was a 1995 Toyota T100 DX 2wd. Unfortunately i had a serious accident with my T100 when i flipped my truck off a hill, when i hit black ice on a "farm road" Luckily i have been recovering quickly and needed a new truck, found my "new" 1996 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 with the 351 windsor, SO far i freaking love this truck, i still have some nostalgia for the T100's but glad i found this truck, did i mention that it only has about 107,000 miles on it.

With having this truck for only about a month and a half, i have already changed the oil, had my mechanic check the tranny fluid and thankfully it looks as if the previous owner had already had a fluid change on their, haven't checked the differential fluids yet but with only having 107,000 miles on it i'm not to concerned, the brakes are going to have to get replaced this summer as well as the rotors and drum brakes, also i do have a leak from the gas tank and its not to bad but will be fixed in the next few months, my power steering cooler blew a hole in it so that has been replaced as well as with the power steering hose. I have also swapped almost all the lighting to LED's as I did with my other Truck and it looks great. Still have to wire in the brake and front turn signals resistors and led's so that is also a summer project. other than that the HVAC controls, instrument cluster, curiosity lights and dome/map lights are all led's as well as the glove box.

Also planning, when i have the funds, to install some Pacesetter long tube headers Part#72C223 as well as a new Y-pipe, not sure which Y-pipe will work, will the y pipe have any effects?

So i digress the front quad shock suspension was replaced before i bought the truck and i have noticed that the rear shocks are on their way out. Just curious if any of you guys have ran the Monomax by KYB on your trucks and would like some more info on how they perform. Harshness, reaction times, and also if this is a good choice with my truck having the optional front quad shock suspension. Thanks for anyone with info, i look forward to getting to know you guys. OH and anything i should watch out for on this truck? i had to replace the DPFE sensor since mine kinda **** the bed, other than that what should i keep my eyes out for the tranny is the E40D as well.
Thanks again!

Last edited by northwoods4x4; 03-01-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:58 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome!

So I would ask what kind of shocks are on the front? Monotubes? The KYB is a great shock but it might mess with the ride quality of the rears are more firm than the front. As for ride quality, I can't speak specifically for the KYB but I have Bilsteins all around, which are also monotubes, and they ride fantastic. They're more stuff than stock but there is still a really good ride to them.
The following users liked this post:
northwoods4x4 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by VickMacky
Welcome!

So I would ask what kind of shocks are on the front? Monotubes? The KYB is a great shock but it might mess with the ride quality of the rears are more firm than the front. As for ride quality, I can't speak specifically for the KYB but I have Bilsteins all around, which are also monotubes, and they ride fantastic. They're more stuff than stock but there is still a really good ride to them.
any ideas on how i would go about finding if the front shocks are monotube or not? the front shocks were replaced before i got the truck. if it helps or not it has the quad shock suspension so not sure if the facotry ones were monotube or not.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Even if the stickers are not there anymore usually shocks are engraved with the make and model number somewhere on it.

ETA: Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are you wanting to just replace the rears since they're going out or replace all of them? If all of them then it doesn't matter what the fronts are, get the monomax and enjoy them.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by VickMacky
Even if the stickers are not there anymore usually shocks are engraved with the make and model number somewhere on it.

ETA: Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are you wanting to just replace the rears since they're going out or replace all of them? If all of them then it doesn't matter what the fronts are, get the monomax and enjoy them.
No, you are not misunderstanding, the front's are almost brand new. I am looking at just to replace the rears, i will crawl under there and see what numbers if any i can find and report back. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure if they are 'monotube' but I replaced all 4 of mine with new Gas KYB's in Fall timeframe and I am very happy with them. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them if you're looking to replace worn shocks.
The following users liked this post:
northwoods4x4 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by pma1123
Not sure if they are 'monotube' but I replaced all 4 of mine with new Gas KYB's in Fall timeframe and I am very happy with them. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them if you're looking to replace worn shocks.
I appreciate that bit of info. i will also look into the Gas-a-just kyb's
Old 04-02-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've never used the Monomax shock, but I have used the Gas-A-Just and have been very happy with them. They get good reviews online and my understanding is the Monomax is even better than the gas-a-just.