Topic Sponsor

Rear brakes line size and what flare

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brakes line size and what flare

I've got a 2wd 94 f-150 xl and I'm going to be doing a brake job on it in the morning. The truck is an hour away along with my notes and manual. I'm going to be 45min away from a parts store so I'd like to make sure I have everything covered before I head out in the morning to fix this thing.

Well I've got almost everything to do a complete brake job on both sides of the rear of my vehicle. What I did forget about was the rear steel brake lines that go into the wheel cylinders. I think the line is 3/16, but I'm not for sure. Could someone let me know if I'm correct please. What type of flare is used on these brake lines, and are the fittings metric or standard?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3/16 line, double flare (standard flare), Standard thread
The following users liked this post:
94fordxl (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Thanks Adamast, I appreciate the reply. I was in such a hurry the other afternoon when I bought parts and dropped off my tools that I totally forgot about planning for a potential line breakage.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Careful not to break the bleeders or you will be replacing wheel cylinders as well.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by sylver91
Careful not to break the bleeders or you will be replacing wheel cylinders as well.

A bad wheel cylinder was the main reason I needed to do this brake job. Not sure if that sub zero cold spell that just rolled through caused the rubber on it to brake or not.

I just decided to replace everything in the rear for the brake system except the rubber line. Even bought brand new drums. Took me roughly 12 hours to do the job. The hardest part for me was putting the hardware on the right side with no help.

For the lines I made my own since I had everything on hand to do it. It's just normal brake line. I took and sprayed it all down with spray can "bed" liner to safe guard it some.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 PM

Hardware isn't all that bad, just make sure you put the adjusters on the proper sides.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 PM

Default Replacing brake lines

Originally Posted by 94fordxl
A bad wheel cylinder was the main reason I needed to do this brake job. Not sure if that sub zero cold spell that just rolled through caused the rubber on it to brake or not.

I just decided to replace everything in the rear for the brake system except the rubber line. Even bought brand new drums. Took me roughly 12 hours to do the job. The hardest part for me was putting the hardware on the right side with no help.

For the lines I made my own since I had everything on hand to do it. It's just normal brake line. I took and sprayed it all down with spray can "bed" liner to safe guard it some.
I just posted essentially the same thing for the same reason. Broken brake line, didn't know size and the truck is someplace else!

Mine is an '89 4x4 but I'll bet it is the same as yours. 3/16" line double flare standard thread. I figure I can use the existing fittings, if I don't bugger them up. I've now got to read up on how to double flares. Any suggestions?? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:19 AM

You need a brake flaring kit. If its to get out a pinch real quick I would buy a longer piece of line then necessary and make a loop to reach the other end, done that in the past fixing brake lines on the side of a highway then afterwards I cut and flared the extra line to a union fitting.

Quick Reply: Rear brakes line size and what flare