Topic Sponsor

New brakes, now tapping badly

Old 05-23-2019, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New brakes, now tapping badly

Hey everyone. I just replaced the front and rear brakes on my 88 F150 5.8 4x4. That included new drums, shoes, cylinders and all hardware in the rear as well as new calipers, pads, rotors, and wheel bearings in the front. All parts were Duralast from Auto Zone. I put the anti- rattle clips on the bottoms of the inboard pads on the front. Bled system with no problem.

New brakes stop the vehicle straight with no issues.

The problem is that now there is a tapping noise that gets faster with vehicle speed coming from the fronts, I believe on both sides. It stops as soon as I start to push the brake pedal.

I've done pad replacements on other vehicles in the past, but this my first time doing all the other stuff. Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

anti rattle clips rubbing rotor
Old 05-24-2019, 02:16 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocoa
All parts were Duralast from Auto Zone.
That's likely a BIG part of your problem! Garbage parts from a garbage store. Did you even check the prices of MotorCraft parts on eBay, Amazon, RockAuto, BroncoGraveyard, FordPartsGiant, etc.?
I put the anti- rattle clips on the bottoms of the inboard pads on the front.
The problem is that now there is a tapping noise that gets faster with vehicle speed coming from the fronts, I believe on both sides. It stops as soon as I start to push the brake pedal.
Which direction did you install the clips? The rounded side goes toward the caliper; not toward the rotor. Did you clean & grease everything correctly? Click these, read the captions, & follow the relevant links:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
Old 05-24-2019, 08:30 AM

Yes, I did install the clips with the round part away from the rotor, lubed where appropriate.

Does everyone have problems with Duralast brakes? Honestly did not know they were "garbage".
Old 05-24-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Everything from the zone is garbage. The truck works best with the best parts - buying from the zone is like having an engagement dinner at a fast-food joint. Any brand NAME designed to make you think it's great is obviously NOT. Those parts aren't "durable", and they won't "last". MasterPro parts aren't used by master technicians or professionals. You get the idea...
Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Yes, I did install the clips with the round part away from the rotor, lubed where appropriate.

Does everyone have problems with Duralast brakes? Honestly did not know they were "garbage".
To put it bluntly, autozone is the worst. If you have to go to a big parts house, I would choose NAPA or Advanced Auto Parts first, then O'reillys, then Autozone last.

The best bet, always, is to hunt down the parts online from rockauto, amazon. ebay, etc. I can guarantee you that you will find better prices, better quality, etc.....you just have to plan ahead.

This does nothing solve your current problem but hopefully will help prevent future ones.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you spend the time to 'bed' in the new pads? New brakes won't immedietley be a flat on flat perfect surface and this process works to marry the two surfaces together for maximum friction.

Is there any heat in the hub area? How about marks on the rotors? Pads are meant to wear into the rotors, so it should eventually resolve itself IF the break in process is the problem. Examine the rotors/calipers for patterns. Could just be a clip like justintendo suggests.

Obviously double check that the rotors are spinning true and that lugs are torqued evenly to spec.

Do everything you can to verify it's the brakes because If it's not the brakes, then you might need to go a bit deeper and try to verify the bearings arent spinning their races or something, though i suspect that would sound quite a bit different than 'tapping'.

I don't think I've seen an autozone in Canadia, I'll just assume its the equivalent of 'Great Value' from Walmart.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by SaltEater
Did you spend the time to 'bed' in the new pads? New brakes won't immedietley be a flat on flat perfect surface and this process works to marry the two surfaces together for maximum friction.

Is there any heat in the hub area? How about marks on the rotors? Pads are meant to wear into the rotors, so it should eventually resolve itself IF the break in process is the problem. Examine the rotors/calipers for patterns. Could just be a clip like justintendo suggests.

Obviously double check that the rotors are spinning true and that lugs are torqued evenly to spec.

Do everything you can to verify it's the brakes because If it's not the brakes, then you might need to go a bit deeper and try to verify the bearings arent spinning their races or something, though i suspect that would sound quite a bit different than 'tapping'.

I don't think I've seen an autozone in Canadia, I'll just assume its the equivalent of 'Great Value' from Walmart.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I did check all those things and the pads are bedded in, etc. Couldn't find a problem.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:23 PM

So, assuming the parts are not the highest quality, what specifically would cause this problem that's the result of their low quality? What should I be looking for?

I bought these cheaper parts because we don't drive the truck much, maybe 3 or 4k a year. I knew these weren't restoration quality, but I did expect them to be functional for the low demands on the truck.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well if there is no rubbing in the brake components, I would look at the bearings next. I guess you'd also want to double check nothing is going on with the hubs. Though I imagine the sound wouldn't go away when you apply the brakes if it was anything in the driveline.

The sound stopping with brake application makes me think that something in the wheel assembly has some play when the wheel is spinning, and applying the brakes smartens it up.

Low quality parts may not be manufactured of the same material, to tight enough tolerances, or lack QC. It's how they would be able to sell them cheaply and still make money. It's not impossible for no name parts to do what they were designed for, it's just more probable to find they don't work quite right or fail early.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New brakes, now tapping badly