Topic Sponsor

Need New 1996 Front Crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New 1996 Front Crossmember

Greetings,

So, when I got my truck (F150 1996, XL, straight 6 4.9L 4x4), I noticed an uncomfortable amount of play in my steering while driving on the highway. I checked the Chilton's book to see what could be going on and noticed that I am missing the whole stabilizer bar and crossmember (most likely removed for more articulation). Does anyone have one they do not want or could link me to a trusted place where I can buy one and maybe save me a trip to the junkyard? I'll go to the junkyard if I have to, but was also curious if there is another way to still get articulation and also keep the comfortable highway steering.

Many thanks!

-S
Old 11-16-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That 'crossmember' is usually called an engine skid plate. Most but not all came with them.
The anti sway bar was also an option. Not all trucks came with them.
If you look at the springs seats under your coil springs, if there are 2 little flanges sticking out the front with bolt holes, it came with the bar and it was removed.
If it doesn't have the pieces sticking out, it never had a bar.
I would check out the rest of the steering as well. Trucks that don't have anti-sway bars do not necessarily have play in the steering.
The following users liked this post:
Snapcity (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much Chris_1, this makes sense, I'll take a look. I also greased up the tie rods and it seems to have helped a great amount. I wasn't jerking all over the road this weekend and was able to have a very comfortable ride. I guess I'll start small and replace the tie rod ends and see if the steering improves a bit. I was also considering getting these stabilizers at some point:

https://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49553

how do you feel about that?

I think that if I start replacing some of the suspension stuff that can wear and tear, that it should make this thing very stable to drive again.

-S
Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You shouldn't need a stabilizer.
Look at ball joints, tie rods and tie rod ends to start.
Radius arm bushings, I beam pivot bushings and loose bearings are on the list of things that will make it wander, as well as the steering shaft and the steering box itself.
Plus it has to be properly aligned of course.
If adding grease tightened things up, then it just picked up some slack - temporarily. There shouldn't be any slack, the grese is just to help things move and not wear out too fast. So some new parts are probably in order.
Might be an idea just to get it checked out at a shop; they can tell you just exactly what does and doesn't need fixing up there