Topic Sponsor

Moog CC844 Springs installed

Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Moog CC844 Springs installed

I posted this in the "what did you do to your truck today" thread a few weeks ago but I figured I'd post it here as its own thread for anyone doing a spring search. Sorry if this counts as an overpost. The install was pretty easy and there are many threads that detail the install process so I won't rehash. I will say that some say that a spring compressor is not needed but I did indeed need one. I also installed stock height skyjacker hydro 7000 shocks all around.

All I can say about the ride quality is that its much better. Its definitly stiffer but I'm pretty sure the shocks were the original ones from 1993 as they were motorcraft branded. The ride before was horrible so its much better now and the truck now sits level.

Before

After

Before

After
Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Did a set of springs on a co-workers truck the other day, definitely messier of a job than yours looks.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I had those same shocks , they lasted six years of daily driving 90 miles to work and back.
Mine were stamped with skyjacker and rancho numbers .
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Scraptor
I had those same shocks , they lasted six years of daily driving 90 miles to work and back.
Mine were stamped with skyjacker and rancho numbers .
Wow! That's good to hear. I didn't know much about them but I bought them because I got them for pretty cheap so I figured I'd give them a shot. If I'm lucky i'll drive 90 miles a month so they should last a while.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

why stock height shocks and not 2" lift ones?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 AM

They aren't required. A lot of stock height shocks are indicated as for 0-2 inch lift. Also, a few years ago I had a 96 2wd and I leveled it and put the rancho shocks for a 2 inch lift and they were very compressed.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew95 (10-10-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a '96 Ford F-150 short-wheel-base. It's sporting the 302, and it is fairly stock inside and out. The only thing I am not particularly liking about it right now is that the steering and shocks on it feel very mushy (although, not surprising at 192K miles on the odometer!). Was that what your steering and ride felt like before the new springs? How much were the springs and shocks individually? If an upgrade like this could help tighten up the steering and ride, I would certainly like to give it a shot!

Also, can you put a link in the thread to a breakdown on the install? I am pretty new to doing anything more than changing breakpads or oil... Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by officersimpson
I just bought a '96 Ford F-150 short-wheel-base. It's sporting the 302, and it is fairly stock inside and out. The only thing I am not particularly liking about it right now is that the steering and shocks on it feel very mushy (although, not surprising at 192K miles on the odometer!). Was that what your steering and ride felt like before the new springs? How much were the springs and shocks individually? If an upgrade like this could help tighten up the steering and ride, I would certainly like to give it a shot!

Also, can you put a link in the thread to a breakdown on the install? I am pretty new to doing anything more than changing breakpads or oil... Thanks!
The ride is much better but I did the shocks at the same time. There is no difference in steering though. From what I've read you'll need to replace the steering gear box to correct the sloppy steering. Look into Redhead steering gears online if that is something you want to do soon. It on my list for sure.

As far as the springs go, it's a simple job I've done it on two trucks. You'll see once you take a look when you get the tire off. The difficulty comes from how tight and/or rusted the bottom spring retaining bolt is. Some people don't need a spring compressor but I used one. You can borrow one from O'Reily or Auto Zone for free. You'll have to leave a deposit but you'll get it back when you return it. Just make sure you ask for coil spring compressor. If you have any questions along the way I'll be happy to help where I can. Oh, I got the springs for about $67 with free shipping on amazon so check that out if you're looking into the same ones. The shocks I got on sale off autoanything.com for about $27 a piece.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/replac...-coils-135607/
The following users liked this post:
miataman (02-02-2014)
Old 11-11-2013, 04:18 PM

Check the thread on "mushy steering" it sets out how to adjust the lash on the steering box. I did it on my '95 f150 4x4 and it worked well to take the slack out.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hockeysniper
Check the thread on "mushy steering" it sets out how to adjust the lash on the steering box. I did it on my '95 f150 4x4 and it worked well to take the slack out.
Could you post a link to that thread? I can't seem to find it with the search engine! Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moog CC844 Springs installed