Topic Sponsor

How do I Put the bushing back into my sway bar link.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts
Default How do I Put the bushing back into my sway bar link.

So I have a 1989 f150 rwd and the front left sway bar link just popped right off of its bushing and I have not been able to get it back in. I’m just wondering if anybody has any idea on how to get it back in.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:32 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Assuming you have access to a press, a large C-clamp or, a vice, you can probably bully it back in. Lube it with dish-washing liquid like for the sink, as it makes it slippery, yet once it drys the slippery goes away. Places with presses, like alignment shops, & some auto parts, will often press things back together for not a lot of money
Old 06-06-2018, 02:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used Dawn several time in situations like these. Works great!
Old 06-09-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

If it came out, something's wrong. Just putting the bushing back in won't fix the problem - it'll just pull out again. Is the bar bent? Is the frame bent? Is the axle bent?

Once the root problem is fixed, I still wouldn't put the original back in. I'd buy Energy black polyurethane. Click this, read its caption, & the NEXT few:

(phone app link)
Old 06-09-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
If it came out, something's wrong. Just putting the bushing back in won't fix the problem - it'll just pull out again. Is the bar bent? Is the frame bent? Is the axle bent?

Once the root problem is fixed, I still wouldn't put the original back in. I'd buy Energy black polyurethane. Click this, read its caption, & the NEXT few:

(phone app link)
Well a couple of months ago I got in a pretty nasty accident that left the exterior looking fine. But underneath it was pretty bad. Both of the twin I beams in the front suspension were bent. Which takes a lot. We did replace those and most of the other suspension components. But the frame is still slightly bent. The sway bar itself Was not replaced. So I guess it would be a good idea to check on that and hopefully it’s just a bent sway bar which is not too hard to replace.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

This is what I've been working on for a few weeks:

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: How do I Put the bushing back into my sway bar link.