Topic Sponsor

Has anyone ever seen this or had it happen to them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has anyone ever seen this or had it happen to them?

This happened the second time this guy went mudding with me. Shock broke at lower mounting point. Shock is shot considering it stayed compressed.
This happened the third time this guy came mudding with me. Rear leaf spring mount through the box.
the first time mudding this guy said he wouldn't get stuck and that he is a superior driver to me, along with his truck could handle anything. First time he got himself stuck axle deep. His truck is a 96 f150 Eddie Bauer edition 5.8l ext cab, short box auto locking hubs and the e4od trans. I don't know the axle gear ratio, but my truck is a 95 xlt ext cab manual locks and manual shift, 5.0l short box, 4r70w trans and I'm no positive on my gear ratio, based on previous owners word the rear was replaced with an f250 rear end. If that's true I don't know the gear ratio and off the top of my head I believe the tags said it was 3.55. But this guy forgot to put the truck in drive when I said lets go to pull him out and my truck easily pulled him free in 4 high and his truck in park and 4low. But I have never seen a person say their truck was driving great with a broken shock and a broken rear leaf spring mount.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM
Oooo a Custom Title.

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Looks like its all due to rust.

Parts got weak and broke. I've seen this happen with the rear leaf springs shakes but not the front shock.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 PM

He asked me to help fix it. I know I can do the shock that's easy enough. I'm unsure of how to go about replacing the leaf spring bracket and getting it back into place.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You can replace leaf spring brackets by grinding off or drilling out the original rivets (not a fun job) and bolting on a new one with grade 8 bolts.
And just to clarify, if it had an F250 rear diff, it would have 8 bolt wheels back there.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:05 AM

Alright. Well the rear axle isnt an f250 then. But changing out that bracket sounds like a nice weekend job.