Topic Sponsor

Great, now I need CALIPERS !!

Old 04-12-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Great, now I need CALIPERS !!

So, the old '92 F150 has a pull, and I've got one caliper hanging up. So, I go to RockAuto and I see there are multiple calipers for sale, but some are listed as phenolic. My understanding is the phenolic caliper pistons are prone to cracking and that the metal ones are a better choice. But, how do I know the difference when ordering? There's nothing listed in the specs online, is it safe to assume that it's metal piston unless specifically noted as phenolic? I'm thinking Raybestos calipers but I really don't know what to buy. Any suggestions ?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

I don't think it matters. The phenolic ones might be better in climates where rust is a factor.

I like the Centrics because they are cheap and come with all the hardware. Might as well pick up some new hoses and clips too while you are in there.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

A few years ago I had a caliper hanging up (right front). Replaced the caliper with a new rebuilt one and hung up again a week later. Ended up being the rubber brake hose. Replaced the hose with a new one, hasn't hung up since
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:50 PM

Well, decided I'm going to replace everything in the front brakes. Ordered front pads, inner and outer wheel bearings, wheel seals and front brake hoses from RockAuto. I'm picking up new front rotors, and calipers with metal pistons from my local AutoZone. Looked like Rock's prices were better, but by the time I add shipping and all that, it costs less to buy the heavy stuff locally. Plus, I don't have to ship back my cores, just a 5 minute drive for my core refund. Forgot about hose clips, gotta find some of them too. My 4 shocks and front coil springs should be arriving today from a previous order so...might as well make a day of the front corners and do brakes, shocks, and springs all at once. Gonna be busy ...
Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Don't forget copper washers for the banjo bolts. Make sure they came with either the hoses or calipers
Old 04-13-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

If you are digging that deep, you might wanna consider spindle bearings, axle u joints, and ball joints too.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Don't forget copper washers for the banjo bolts. Make sure they came with either the hoses or calipers
The hoses come with new copper crush washers. I hope. Now I have to check to make sure. Thanks for the reminder.

Search this Thread