Topic Sponsor

Disc Brake Parking Brake Question

Old 05-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Disc Brake Parking Brake Question

Has anyone converted their rear axle to disc brakes using explorer parts and found a way to use the drum style parking brakes? Is there some sort of cable stops or something to get?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:38 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

How did the Explorer accomplish this. It would seem pretty straight forward. This would be an interesting swap. Did the Explorer use the same bolt pattern as the 150?
Old 05-25-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you just take the backing plates, parking brake shoes and hardware, rotors and calipers and hoses from the explorer, you need to either have factory abs or a proportional valve to be able to feed the calipers enough pressure(mine is a factory abs). I had to redrill the explorer rotors to fit 5 on 5 1/2(explorer is 5 on 4 1/5), i also had to grind out the center of the rotors more because they would not fit the center of my axle flange and you also have to grind down the axle flange outer edge to be able to fit the rotor over. After that it all bolts on just like on the explorer, i did this swap a few years back but havent got the parking brake cable adapted to the explorer setup(been lazy). You also have to cut you steel lines and put the fitting for the rubber line to screw into and then I welded a tab on the axle tube on each side to mount the steel line, i will try to take some pics when i get it all apart again to replace my warped axle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disc Brake Parking Brake Question