Topic Sponsor

Brake Fluid spraying out from above tire on rear driver's side. (94 f150 xlt 5.8L)

Old 07-25-2016, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Fluid spraying out from above tire on rear driver's side. (94 f150 xlt 5.8L)

1994 Ford f150 XLT 5.8L 4wd

I have no idea what I'm doing here but I need to try to fix this myself as I simply don't have the money to pay someone else to.

I noticed the brakes were really squishy so I checked the reservoir. After seeing it was almost empty I filled her up. After a quick drive around I noticed it was better but still very squishy. I checked the reservoir after my quick drive and saw that it was over half gone. Checking under the truck, I noticed dripping brake fluid by the rear driver side tire. It was covering everything on the left side including the rear axle but not the tire at all.

I had a friend get in and stomp the brakes so I could see where it was coming from and saw brake fluid spraying at high volume from up above the rear driver side wheel. The brake line leading to that area is incredibly rusty but I'm having a hard time seeing where it goes or comes from. I assume that brake line needs to be fixed but I don't really know where to start or what to search for. Any help diagnosing would be immensely appreciated.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the brake line is cracked, it needs to be replaced for your brakes to function. If you are unsure of doing the work, I'd have it towed to a shop.

Otherwise, I'd replace the damaged line (try LMC truck for pre-bent lines). They probably sell the soft lines (hoses) as well. Essentially, you'd disconnect it from the master cylinder and at the wheel cylinder and replace in kind. Bleed the brakes afterward and you're done.

Odds are the remaining brake lines are in similarly poor condition.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by east302
If the brake line is cracked, it needs to be replaced for your brakes to function. If you are unsure of doing the work, I'd have it towed to a shop.

Otherwise, I'd replace the damaged line (try LMC truck for pre-bent lines). They probably sell the soft lines (hoses) as well. Essentially, you'd disconnect it from the master cylinder and at the wheel cylinder and replace in kind. Bleed the brakes afterward and you're done.

Odds are the remaining brake lines are in similarly poor condition.
I have discovered it's the brake line leading along the drivers side between the frame and the gas tank. The bend right before it goes down and connects onto the rubber hose leading to the axel is rusted through. I have a basic understanding, through research, on how to remove gas lines and bend a new one if necessary. I just don't know if I can get the old line off and the new one in in such tight quarters. Do i need to remove the gas tank to do this job or should I be able to wriggle the old one out and the new one in? It looks to be about 5-7 feet of pipe.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That's a particularly difficult line to replace. Not really the best place to learn about replacing brake lines. Honestly at your skill level, this might be a good one for the shop. It is your brakes.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Have found many of people just leave the old line and run a new one less work. Seen many of this type repairs works fine and depends on ones ability. Not saying it's the right way but saves from messing with the clamps holding the gas and brake lines and duplicating the proper bends.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Fluid spraying out from above tire on rear driver's side. (94 f150 xlt 5.8L)