Topic Sponsor

Another lift thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Another lift thread

Good evening all! Yes it's a truck. However at stock height it seems more like a car, at least by today's truck comparisons.

The truck is a 91' f150 ext cab 2wd long bed xlt lariat 5.0l

At at the moment I am in the market for new wheels and tires. Will the 15's wither the largest size tire possible give me enough lift?

If if I wanted the truck to be 6 inches higher, would that be a 6" lift. I honestly don't have a clue. I do t want to have to break out a step ladder to get in.

I installed either the moog 824 or 844 spring in front and it did bring the front up some, I would like it to be or appear a little more level. More height might be what I am after. I don't think I want to mess with a body lift but don't know. I also don't want to break the bank.

I would think that if I buy a new 15 " wheel and get as tall as I can with them and am not happy and then lift the truck that the 15" wheels would appear to be dwarfed.

Please help!

Last edited by okc lube man; 10-10-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Forgot the truck
Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Can't go much bigger than 31's without a lift kit.
Lift kit is money.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Suppose I put the 31's on there now and later decide to put a 4" lift on ***** he tires appear to small?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

On a 91 you have a little more bumper clearance but you still have the radius arm rub problem if you go any bigger than 31's.

With proper offset wheels you can probably do 32's with minimal rub. I have 32's on my 94 4WD with the moog cc824's and stock wheels and they definitely rub the arms at full lock. But really you just learn to swing a little wider in the parking lot and you are fine.

Really to do a proper lift on these trucks, you need 4-6" with extended radius arms. Looking at $1200-1500 just in parts. Then the wheels and tires on top of that, and the alignment, and possibly install. Every time I look at that number I remember how happy I am with my 32's on stock alcoas. I'd rather spend that money to give it more powaaaaaaa.

You can do a cheaper rough country lift that is all drop brackets, but then you are putting a lot more stress on the frame, especially if you use your truck as a toy at all.

My 2 cents
Old 10-12-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

What BLD said. And yes your truck will look like a stork with a 6" lift and 31" tires. There was one running around town here, he bought it with a lift and 35" tires but the tires were worn out. When he figured out what new 35's would cost he decided to buy 32" tires because they were cheaper.
It looked silly. Only way to describe it accurately.
So probably you should make a decision and be happy with it.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by okc lube man
Suppose I put the 31's on there now and later decide to put a 4" lift on ***** he tires appear to small?
they will look small, i have a 4" with 35s on my truck, this is an idea what that will look like

i had 32s on my bronco stock height when i first got it. you can clear 33s if you trim the bumper, ive also heard people say you can space out the front bumper with washers to clear them, but ive never done that