Topic Sponsor

abs light on when driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs light on when driving

so i have a 1996 ford f150 4x4 single cab swb xlt, recently my truck turned the abs light on (red brake light is not on) and i pulled the code, at first it was code 12, figured that one of my rear mount cab light was dying and flickering so i changed that out and reread my codes, the abs light then flashed 16 times which from the research i have done (extensive) indicated the system pass, so i started my truck and great the abs light is off, so i turn my truck on again this morning and the abs light came on again, here is a the odd part, i went to pull the code again and i got 16 flashes indicating system pass however the light is still on odd, is there a reason why the abs would indicate a pass yet still trigger the abs light to be on? any help would be great thanks!

Last edited by northwoods4x4; 09-11-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Not familar with ABS codes, but a big cause for a random ABS light is lowe fluid in the reservoir - or a float in the reservoir that sticks to the bottom, which makes the computer think the fluid is low. Just something to check that is quick and easy.
The following users liked this post:
northwoods4x4 (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Not familar with ABS codes, but a big cause for a random ABS light is lowe fluid in the reservoir - or a float in the reservoir that sticks to the bottom, which makes the computer think the fluid is low. Just something to check that is quick and easy.
good call i know i have plenty of fluid, but i didn't think to check the float in the reservoir will take a peek at that.

edit: well i checked the float device in the reservoir and it is doing just that floating, so we can mark that off our checklist as not being the cause for this pesky light.

Last edited by northwoods4x4; 09-11-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

pretty simple system for the most part...the light being on indicates an issue..the float works, fluid is good...you can check the voltages on that...

next the rear end sensors and whether they are working, check visual. Check the lines and units for leaking and such.

One of the '96 experts will ring in, with wheel or differential and whether it is 4 wheel or 2 wheel...my '92 is just rear wheel.
The following users liked this post:
northwoods4x4 (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by kd3pc
pretty simple system for the most part...the light being on indicates an issue..the float works, fluid is good...you can check the voltages on that...

next the rear end sensors and whether they are working, check visual. Check the lines and units for leaking and such.

One of the '96 experts will ring in, with wheel or differential and whether it is 4 wheel or 2 wheel...my '92 is just rear wheel.
not sure why the system then is giving the 16-blink (system pass) code then if something is wrong, that's where i am having the issue understanding this
Old 09-11-2017, 08:11 PM

so i would like to update, well i checked once again and now i am getting a code 12 been chasing this since yesterday, thought it was a faulty bulb on the top rear mount not the brake bulb but the cabin lights, obviously all the lights run through the stop light circuit, after replacing the bulb the light did go off but again like a stated before started the truck up today and light came on, so i tested the voltage and ohms on the fluid level switch connected to the bottom of the reservoir tank, ohms on both power wires came in at about 5.00 ohms, and both power wires came in around 12 volts, my battery was outputting about 12.64 volts which means the battery itself is in good condition, so the fluid reservoir switch is getting power so i guess now what would be my next steps?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:47 PM

going to do some short to ground testing on both DG/Y and T/LG wires tomorrow and will update on what i find