Topic Sponsor

Abs & brake light on after hard brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs & brake light on after hard brake

On my '93 F150 V8 5.8 I just recently replaced the pad, shoes, rear wheel cylinders, calipers & put on a used master cylinder. After that the ABS & brake light would come on after driving a while & if you kept going with the truck the back passenger locks up, it doesn't appear to happen to the driver side. I drive 11 miles to work & if I always slowly stop the lights don't come on till I'm pulling I'll into work. I looked around & couldn't see anything wrong with the things I replaced so I took it to a mechanic and of course he didn't have that problem driving it and the only thing he could find was the ABS control module was going bad so i replaced that but still didn't fix it. I thought maybe it was a faulty wheel cylinder so i tried replacing that again but the lights still came on with the new one so I'm out of ideas at the moment. Anyone have suggestions?
Old 11-12-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

master cylinder....the reservoir has a sensor that when not satisfied, will light both lights.
it also has check valves and internal seals that when bad, give the symptoms you have.

Lines, Master cylinder, ABS, proportion/control valve and if your year has it, the antidive lever control under the bed and above the rear.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Porofinoblue
On my '93 F150 V8 5.8 I just recently replaced the...rear wheel cylinders, calipers...
Why? Those are not maintenance items - they should only be replaced if they fail a published test. What exactly made you replace them?
...put on a used master cylinder.
Why not reman or new? They're not expensive or hard-to-find.
...the ABS & brake light would come on after driving a while...
That indicates low fluid in the MC reservoir, or a sunken float.
...if you kept going with the truck the back passenger locks up, it doesn't appear to happen to the driver side.
That's an entirely separate problem. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)

Then read this one & the NEXT two dozen in this album:

(phone app link)
...the only thing he could find was the ABS control module was going bad...
Did he tell you what exactly made him think it was GOING bad? IME, parts are either good or bad - you can't tell when they're about to go. Read this & the NEXT few:

(phone app link)
Anyone have suggestions?
STOP replacing parts. Take the time to learn what the lights mean (read the owner's manual, the Haynes manual, & those captions) and how the system works (and it has a LOT of parts, so read ALL the disk & drum captions in that album), and the proper ways to maintain & repair it (in Haynes).

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: Abs & brake light on after hard brake