Topic Sponsor

2" wheels spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" wheels spacers

Opinions on 2" whee spacers because I don't want to spend the money on getting rims with a bigger offset, also with the spacers would that allow me to clear 32x11's on my stock rim
because I was told in this site by someone that I would rub with stock rims with 32x11xr15
Old 11-18-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

My opinion on wheel spacers is that they are a really bad idea.

But they will probably prevent the tires from rubbing the radius arms. You might run into bumper clearance issues though.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
My opinion on wheel spacers is that they are a really bad idea.

But they will probably prevent the tires from rubbing the radius arms. You might run into bumper clearance issues though.
why are they such a bad idea, I mean I get that they will wear out other components such as ball joints and wheel bearings prematurely but I guess more specifically my question is are they safe and what if I go with something smaller than 2"
Old 11-18-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well they could be safe.

Most people don't like the idea of them because of how many cheap, poorly made parts can be ordered off the internet. Would suck to be the guy to injure/cripple/kill a person by losing a wheel on the highway. If you do get some, don't cheap out, research the brand for manufacturing process and failure rates.

Also, I feel like the same considerations about hub centric vs lug centric wheels would also apply to spacers. If its some type of universal spacer, then another spacer to center it on the hub is likely necessary, as well as the proper lugs for both holding the spacer to the hub, and your wheel to the spacer.

And besides putting more leverage on your suspension/steering components, wheel balance may also be affected.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:24 AM

^^^Mostly this - the cost of good wheel spacers, and not the cheap $60 ones you find on ebay, are going to be significant enough ($200-300) that you have to ask why you would bother doing it when you can get a good set of wheels with the proper offset for $400-ish. That and they just are not as safe as a non-spaced truck

Hey 96f150eddiebauer - I'm not trying tor ruin your party - I have just been down this road and already made all of the mistakes. Save your money and get wheels with the right offset. Would be happy to point out some that are relatively cheap and look good.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 324 Likes on 191 Posts

So, BLDTruth, I've been thinking about getting 17" wheels and tires to replace my 15" ones. I want to keep the same style as the OEM ones I have now, just get a bigger diameter rim with a tire that will not change the overall height of the OEM setup. I thought it would be a nice upgrade while not radically changing the "classic" look of the truck. Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by clintm6
So, BLDTruth, I've been thinking about getting 17" wheels and tires to replace my 15" ones. I want to keep the same style as the OEM ones I have now, just get a bigger diameter rim with a tire that will not change the overall height of the OEM setup. I thought it would be a nice upgrade while not radically changing the "classic" look of the truck. Any thoughts?
I enjoy the look of the 15's - that's just me - that and the fact that the wheels and tires are both cheaper with a 15" rim vs' a 17" rim.

Also, just in terms of ride comfort, 17" truck tires are generally going to be 10 ply or E rated, which is great for hauling big loads and towing but generally crap for ride quality. 15" tires will almost always be 6 ply or C rated. Less load handling but who cares - if you are pulling enough weight or loading your truck up enough to need E rated tires, you probably need a different truck.

If I wanted to have new wheels and tires, but keep the factory look of the truck, I would get these:

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/P...n=PXA1069-5885

And then pair them up with these tires:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-LT31X...hZ99Y7&vxp=mtr

And if you wait a week or two for the black friday sale to hit, you will probably get a better deal on both - I know for sure you will save at least $100 on the tires.

Eventually, when I get my truck back (Let's just say this painting experience has taught me a lot of lessons about who to trust - it still isn't finished), and I put a proper lift on it, I would go with these:

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/P...n=PXA1069-5185

And these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-33-12...fY5HLg&vxp=mtr

That's a lot of thoughts!
Old 11-19-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 324 Likes on 191 Posts

You're right, that is a lot of thoughts! Thanks!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
^^^Mostly this - the cost of good wheel spacers, and not the cheap $60 ones you find on ebay, are going to be significant enough ($200-300) that you have to ask why you would bother doing it when you can get a good set of wheels with the proper offset for $400-ish. That and they just are not as safe as a non-spaced truck

Hey 96f150eddiebauer - I'm not trying tor ruin your party - I have just been down this road and already made all of the mistakes. Save your money and get wheels with the right offset. Would be happy to point out some that are relatively cheap and look good.
Please send me a link when you get a chance I want something that looks close to stock