Topic Sponsor

1st gen Lightning suspension on my 1996...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1st gen Lightning suspension on my 1996...

Hey all, I am looking for a way to lower my 1996 F-150 regular cab long bed just slightly. I do not want to slam it with the 3" DJM beams but I would like to cover up some of the wheel gap since I just ordered custom 20's for it. I would love for it to have the stance the Lightning has. What I am wondering is if I can use the Lightning's stock springs in front to obtain the 1" factory drop in the front. Will I need to also use the Lightning's I-beams or will the factory ones be sufficient? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated! Below is how my truck currently sits.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:34 AM

This stance is about perfect and is what I'm going for.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:36 AM

Not a soul knows if this is possible or not?
Old 05-11-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Problem with lowering is the same as lifting - you have to be able to get your camber adjusted enough to compensate.
You can usually adjust for about 1 1/2" lift at the bushings on the upper ball joints.
If you're only dropping an inch, you should have adjustment room for that.

When you're lifting, if you go past the adjustment capability of the bushings you put drop brackets to bring things back into line.
But you can't put "up" brackets because you hit the crossmember; which is where the dream beams come in - they do the opposite of a lift kit basically.

So dropping the front an inch should work ok, much more than that and you're into the big money. To be sure, you could go to an alignment shop and have them check that you have enough adjustment to use the lower springs; you'll have to get it aligned after anyway, so they shouldn't mind taking a look and making sure it'll be ok BEFORE you spend the time and money.