Topic Sponsor

1996 F150 4WD bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 F150 4WD bushings

Hey all. First time posting, but long time lurking. Looking for a pointer to an, I'm sure, already written article that I'm not locating.

I have a '96 4wd 150 (regular cab, regular bed) 5spd. Buddy of mine gave it to me. It's lifted with a 4 inch kit. Front end was shot. I've replaced all the front u-joints, all ball joints, and the entire tie rod assembly, as well as all wheel bearings. Also replaced the steering stablizer (the one on it was shot). I know the shocks are toast, and plan to replace them as well. However, I'm still chasing it down the road. I can turn left or right and let go of the wheel and it will continue to turn instead of trying to come back straight. I have play in the wheel before it will move left or right. If I go straight and let go, it will keep going straight (unless I hit a really good bump, then it might start dancing left/right).

I took a look at the steering box and it SEEMS ok at a glance. I'm just not sure how much wiggle it should have lifted with over sized/over wide tires. I just took it in for an alignment (at a Big Chain location) and when they spit out the paperwork when done, everything was green and within spec. It has 33 inch tires that are wider than stock. The guy at the shop said it's "natural" with a lifted kit and the bigger tires.......I'm not sure how much I want to bite into that.

So, other than the steering box (and shocks), I'm thinking at 200k+ miles, it's time to replace all the rubber. So, after all that, what I'm trying to locate is a parts list, or complete kit, for all the bushings. I've seen the Poly and Energy kits, but they seem to me like they are lacking, and not Total?

I'm not asking for someone to rewrite, but hit me with a link to an article my Google-Fu is missing. I can find talk about the radius arm bushings and body mount all day, but nothing that talks about any others.

swany6mm
Old 03-06-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Radius arm bushings and I-beam pivot bushings at the front.
F/R Leaf spring bushings and hanger (shackle) bushings.
That pretty much covers the suspension bushings.
The ones between the body and frame are actually isolators to smooth out the feel of the ride.
Steering box is actually cheap considering what it does; and a new one will help with that mileage. That steering box is the exact same one as for an F350 4x4 so it should handle your tires fine if it's not worn.
Personally, I've found setting the toe-in a little tighter than specs increases the driveability. A little harder on tires but nicer to drive.
The following users liked this post:
swany6mm (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so it is that simple (small) of a list. I really thought I was missing something! I'm pretty sure I'm going to replace the steering box, just haven't decided how I want to go about doing it (reman/new/redhead/etc)