Topic Sponsor

trying to quiet down engine bay noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to quiet down engine bay noise

i have a 302 v8 and I just got the exhaust done on it and I have always noticed the-the engine makes a ton of noise. belts fans etc. nothing broken just a lot of noise. anyone know any ways to quiet that puppy down.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Year and mileage?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

When the fan clutch engages it'll sound like a damn jet engine. The only cure to that is an electric fan conversion.

If the belts make a bunch of noise it could be bad belts, possible mis alignment of the pulleys, contamination, etc.

Since you just had the exhaust done, were the mating surfaces on the manifolds checked to make sure the surface wasn't warped. Also, it's a good idea after a few drive cycles to check all the exhaust manifold bolts to make sure non have loosened up. If they have, this could cause some exhaust leaks.

If the engine has a lot of miles the valve train could be noisy from parts wearing. A rocker adjustment might help.

As fuel injectors get older they can start ticking very loudly even though they still work fine.

Get a long screwdriver, or a solid type shaft (piece of rebar, or something like that) and use it to listen to the bearings of all the accessories while the engine is running. Bearings going bad in the accessories can cause a lot of noise.
The following users liked this post:
Madcp1050 (10-09-2015)

Quick Reply: trying to quiet down engine bay noise