Topic Sponsor

Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start

Hey guys I'm new here. I have a 1992 F150 that won't start. The truck hadn't ran in 6 years, about a month ago i put it in the shop and they replaced both fuel tanks, pumps and did a basic tune up and got it running again. I've had it back now for about three weeks and have replaced a couple things myself. Now for the last three days it will not start. Turn the key the lights come on and fuel pumps kick on but its not even trying to turn over. Starter doesn't even click like its trying to turn and I've recently replaced the solenoid. I have no clue what it could be and need some help getting this thing back on the road. any help is appreciated.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

1. You should get 12v in the thin wire on the solenoid when you turn the key to start.

2. Also when the key is in start, there should be power on the fat wire going to the starter.

3. You can try to bypass the solenoid by touching the thin wire terminal to the battery terminal quickly with a screwdriver. Make sure it is in park, and your parking brake is on. If the problem is lack of power from the key, this should start, and most likely is an ignition switch.

4. If it sends power to the starter and nothing happens, there is a starter issue.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Go to electrical and find "good old ford starting issue". Everything you should need to know to find the problem is in that one somewhere.