truck stalls out when shifting from drive to park

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck stalls out when shifting from drive to park

1986 5.0 fuel injected
Old 06-14-2018, 04:16 PM

I have replaced a lot of parts, it is a rebuilt engine with 5k miles on it. New TPS, new EGR and EGP, new IAC, new MAP, The engine was fogged for vacuum leaks and none were found. A new brake booster recently before the vacuum leak test. I just can't figure out what is going on. When it is warmed up and running pretty good if you go to put in in park it stalls and dies, it will do the same thing if you stop in neutral. Could it be an issue with the ignition switch or something in the steering column??? Someone suggest the valves may need to be adjusted but why that cause these issue of stalling when changing gears. What about the ignition module on the distributor???

Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Those seem like blind guesses. My guess would be something in the transmission, but you haven't supplied enough info about the truck. It needs to be in your signature so we can always see it. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
Old 06-15-2018, 05:51 PM

Thanks Steve. I originally had a really rough idle issue.that is resolved. Those parts I listed that I replaced were all original parts so I didn’t feel bad replacing them.
I am brand new to the site so I will add the door label as my signature this weekend.
My transmission is original and I do have a small leak. I wondered if that leak may be causing the issue or a solenoid is bad. It shifts into all gears but just recently it is not downshifting to accelerate when you stomp on the gas pedal.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Original parts are typically MUCH higher-quality & more-reliable than any replacements. My vehicles are built mostly from used & JY parts because they're so much better than new ones.

Quick Reply: truck stalls out when shifting from drive to park