Topic Sponsor

sprucing up a 95 302

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mild 302 build

I know this is a frequently asked question but I couldn't find a thread that matched my exact circumstances and needs. I have a 1995 f150 with a very strong and reliable 302 with only 150,000 on the odometer. I don't have reason to believe that it needs rebuilt or any work done, but I want to squeeze a little more power out of it without needing major work. I'd like 300hp but if this isn't possible within my budget I completely understand.

The truck is my daily driver so nothing too outlandish and I need to keep the EFI. I know the truck has mass air so from my understanding I can use a more aggressive cam without losing vacuum pressure. I haven't the slightest idea how to select a cam, or all that much about the parts necessary to do what I wish to accomplish, so bear with me and offer your advice in a manner I can understand.

Right now I'm looking at a comp cam part number 35-349-8, as for that is what their program suggested. It matches the power band I want, giving me max hp at 5000rpm and peak tq at 2000, but if this is too aggressive I'm open to suggestions.

I'm thinking Gt40 or gt40p heads for the sake of expense. However, from my understanding there is more power in other heads with larger intake and exhaust ports, am I wrong? My plan is to use my EFI intake because I've read it is nearly on par with its edelbrock counterpart, and the $800 isn't worth the power gain. This being said, I would have the intake and heads ported to match, which should give me more power if I'm not mistaken.

And here is where my plans end. I don't know what else I need, to be frank. Do I need 24lb injectors? what rockers? What pushrods if any? I plain don't have the knowledge to identify what is necessary and what isn't. Any help is greatly appreciated, and please be kind to a guy who does't know how to build motors.

Last edited by red1995; 04-06-2017 at 12:20 AM.