Topic Sponsor

Setting idle with new throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting idle with new throttle body

Hey all, if anyone could help me with this it would be great! Just installed the BBK 3503 throttle body on my 351 F150. Not sure whats going on but I cant seem to get the idle to set properly. Since installing it, my gas pedal has been very stiff, almost to the point to where it seems like it wont budge, then itll break free and accelerate fast.
Been doing some research and know that this is a somewhat common issue with these throttle bodies, and have been trying to set the stop screw to make it not stick. The only way i can get it to not stick is when the idle is set at about 1100 rpm in park and about 900 rpm in gear, which is way high. Just wondering if there is any fixes for this.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

My experience with the oem throttle body is the set screw must be moved out a bit so the plates don't stick. Just as you have done. My experience is also that the bump in idle rpm will be temporary, it takes a little driving but the computer will take over and lower the idle rpm back down to the factory setting.
I have seen the procedure to change the idle rpm permanently on this forum and it is a somewhat complicated process.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I think I got it figured out. Kind of put my trust on the computer like you mentioned, and it seems like it's figuring out the new throttle body well. After setting the rpm to about 750 rpm in park, the gas pedal was still very stiff, but I figured driving it around may help some. So after driving for a few days the pedal seems to be loosening up some and the rpm is sitting right where it was with the factory tb. Still wondering why the after market units don't have the little holes drilled in the blades, feel like that would've saved a lot of time if they had those.