Topic Sponsor

Replacing oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing oil pump

Hey,

New to the forum. I have a 1996 2wd f150 5.0. Bought it new in 1995 and put over 200,000 on it recently. It has leaked coolant slowly over the last year and I just got around to changing the water pump. As I soon found out, the water pump doesn't like come off after that many miles and the timing cover was corroded to the bolts. I finally got the timing cover off and the oil pan gasket needs replacing. I think I can do that without removing the oil pan completely, but since I have gotten this far I figured it was a good time to replace the oil pump and timing chain and gears. The manual says it's possible to get the engine high enough, But I have taken the engine loose from the mounts, removed the exhaust, jacked up the engine as high as is safe, and I still lack at least 2 inches to be able to pull out the pan. Is there a trick to this?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:16 PM

Try unbolting your oil pump and let it lay in the pan, I have done this with 390's and it worked. You have to have the oil pump laying in the pan to get the pan back in place to reinstall also.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:42 PM

Thanks.

There was one other thing. I had to remove the upper intake manifold to give that little bit of extra room to get the pan out. If you just take the pickup tube off and let it lay in the pan, the pan will slide past the pump. As it was, I removed the pump anyway since I was going to replace it.

Quick Reply: Replacing oil pump