Topic Sponsor

new guy here 95 f150 5.0 resurection

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy here 95 f150 5.0 resurection

Hello everyone i guess i should introduce myself first so here it goes

Hi my name is Trey I am a 32 yr old automotive mechanic in north Texas i have had plenty of wrench time with older carbed fords and the newer 4.6 and 5.4 motors but i havent had much time on the 5.0 efi engines

recently i bought a 95 f150 5.0 for 100 bucks with a clean title sure its ugly and needs a lot of cosmetics but it was 100 bucks the little old lady i bought it from fed me a line of crap about how she drove it every day up until may 2016 when a hail storm destroyed the back glass her story went on to say that it needed a battery and a starter to get it running did i mention she was full of crap

i got a battery and a starter and it turned over but would only back fire out the exhaust so i put 10 gallons of fresh gas in the rear tank since it seemed to be the closest to empty changed the fuel filter and spark plugs the wires looked fine then and only then she finally fired up but ran like crap the spark plugs i removed were jet black and wet with bad bad bad fuel after holding the throttle for about five minutes to keep it running the exhaust manifolds started to glow red hot so i shut it down and went to bed the next day i pulled the exhaust off and gutted the cats while doing so i noticed someone had already drilled a hole in the front and back of the front cat and you could hear all the goodies rattling around in there but now both cats are completely empty and the manifolds stay there natural color but she still doesnt like to idle it starts up on the first try but you have to stay on the throttle otherwise the oil pressure bottoms out and then bounces around like a cracked out jack rabbit and it seems to misfire and pop out the exhaust i am getting clean clear fuel all the way up to the fuel rail so i have pretty much ruled out bad gas but the oil is thin and pitch black and smells a bit like varnish my question is could the oil being like that cause these symptoms or am i looking at a more extensive issue?

sub note now that i have sprayed some throttle body cleaner in the intake it revs up fine but still wont idle but if i put it in gear and power brake it i dont have near enough power to break the tires loose

Last edited by trey taylor; 10-28-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

95 views and zero responses us this a sign that no one wants to break the bad news to me or what?

new info i let the truck sit over night and now it fires up and idles rough but it idles however as soon as i give it any throttle it falls flat on its face i do not have a scanner to check the codes on the truck but the check engine light is on

any info would be appreciated i really hope someone can point me in the right direction i am not afraid to work on the truck i just dont want to continue to throw parts at it at random
Old 10-29-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say if your oil smells funny to go ahead and change it. Also, if it sat long enough for the gas in the tank to go bad the injectors probably need to be removed and cleaned.
The following users liked this post:
trey taylor (10-31-2016)