Topic Sponsor

More 1983 351 windsor woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More 1983 351 windsor woes

I posted photos on my previous thread, but one must go to the next page to see them.

I just was over at the auto-parts store and spoke with a tech. I showed him the pictures & we looked it up in the Chilton manual. This is what I have:

It is a 1983 Ford F-150 with a 351 Windsor engine. It has Duraspark II (I think). Originally it had a D9DE-12A199 Engine Control Module. I replaced that with a Borg Werner CBE11. Both are 5 wire units with matching connectors. I'm not sure is this it the proper replacement part. It doesn't seem to effect the problem either way.

My distributor has no electrical connection other than the spark plug and coil wires. There is no vacuum advance. There is a centrifugal advance according to the Tech.

This is what is happening:

It starts fine when it's cold. It goes to a fast high idle. I then kick it down to the low idle. It runs for a min or two and stalls. No sputtering surging missing it just turns off. I cannot get is started again until it cools off.

The tech suggested the module mounted on the plastic fender well may not be getting enough heat transfer. I don't think that's the problem. It remains cool to the touch.

I puled a spark plug. It looked clean. I grounded it while cranking the engine and I am getting no spark.

I have replaced the following electronic parts:

The Distributor cap and rotor
The coil
The spark plug and coil wires
The spark plugs
The engine control module

What else could it be? It does seem to be heat related.

Here are the pics again
Attached Thumbnails More 1983 351 windsor woes-img_0686a.jpg   More 1983 351 windsor woes-img_0689a.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

you want to fix all your problems fast and cheap?

order this. LINK

hook up a vacuum line, and a 12v, key on power source. thats it. you get rid of all of the stock ignition crap you can adjust the timing to be dead on.
i'm running one in my 84 w/351w best thing I put in it. no more dealing with the stock crap.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 PM

Default It sounds almost too good to be true

Thanks for the advice. It sounds almost too good to be true. Where was this made? any reviews out there?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 PM

Default I got it in the mail today

OK, I got the SBF Ford 351W HEI distributor in the mail today. It looks very pretty.

I read the instructions and have one question. The instructions say to remove the 2 wires from your current distributor and connect them to the new distributor. Everyone thinks my distributor has 2 wires connected to it. Alas, my truck may have been the only one made without any wires other than the spark plug and coil wires. Look at the pics. May I assume one of the contacts will be common with ground and the other is to be connected to 12VDC pos. ignition switched?

Please advise.

Quick Reply: More 1983 351 windsor woes