Topic Sponsor

HO 302 in 87 f150

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HO 302 in 87 f150

i have a 87 f150 short bed short cab 302 4x4 np435. i found out the engine is a HO 302, based on it having the firing order of 13726548, instead of 15426378. the engine has an odd kind of misfire or skip that is audible while idling. otherwise it runs decent, good power ext. but as far as i can tell the efi system is still the 87 system. i was pondering if the ecm is firing the fuel injectors with the standard firing order, not the HO firing order, and if this could cause this small miss and be cause to some efficiency issues. what do any of you think? if this is causing an issue, are ther any sort of extensions for the injectors i could use to re-order the 4 injectors i need to? thanks

Last edited by Mudman604; 02-13-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudman604
...if the ecm is firing the fuel injectors with the standard firing order...
It isn't. They're bank-fired in that old MFI/MAP engine; only the '94-up SFI/MAF engines fire one injector at a time.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
It isn't. They're bank-fired in that old MFI/MAP engine; only the '94-up SFI/MAF engines fire one injector at a time.
OH, I hadn't heard of that before. I also took the starter off earlier today to find the casting to be F1SE-BB, making it a 91 engine. What do you think could be cause this skip at idle? The tps is good I checked it with voltmeter, distributor has been replaced, it's really clean inside, the cap and rotor I just replaced, wires are good and the plugs are new. I know it's hard to tell from just a little bit of info but I have reached the end of my knowledge and just asking what I can investigate next.

Last edited by Mudman604; 01-13-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:32 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

...the casting to be F1SE-BB, making it a 91 engine.
No, that makes the casting a '91 design. They might have used that casting past '97.
What do you think could be cause this skip at idle?
There are too many possibilities right now for me to spend time listing them. If you want to narrow them down, read this caption, study your truck carefully, and put ALL its details into your signature:

(phone app link)
...distributor has been replaced...
That doesn't mean much. New replacement parts are generally INFERIOR to originals (even originals with 300 Kmi). When/why/with what (brand/PN/source) did you replace the original? Did the replacement pass the same test that the original failed?
...just asking what I can investigate next.
Every bit of info that can go into your signature.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:07 PM

sorry for the delay, got busy and i finally have some time to sit down.

I did not replace the distributor, it was replaced by a previous owner.i would guess when the engine was put it but no telling. it appears new/replaced due to the firing order being rotated clockwise one peg, and it is very clean on the inside.

i pulled the codes and come to find out the TPS did fail, telling the computer full throttle all the time. i fixed that and it warms up properly now.

i still have the little misfire at idle, would the next thing be to get a quality distributor and install or have it installed 100% properly? or could it be something im just going to have to put up with? haha

Last edited by Mudman604; 01-27-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

If it's misfiring there's a reason. Not real likely to be the distributor if it revs good.
Check the plugs; test the wires; do a compression test. bad injector, bad valve ? Learn to test things and troubleshoot the problem. Replacing parts to see if it fixes things is a very expensive way to approach a problem.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:44 PM

Default have you fixed the fault ???

sorry for the delay, got busy and i finally have some time to sit down.

I did not replace the distributor, it was replaced by a previous owner.i would guess when the engine was put it but no telling. it appears new/replaced due to the firing order being rotated clockwise one peg, and it is very clean on the inside.

i pulled the codes and come to find out the TPS did fail, telling the computer full throttle all the time. i fixed that and it warms up properly now.

i still have the little misfire at idle, would the next thing be to get a quality distributor and install or have it installed 100% properly? or could it be something im just going to have to put up with? haha
have you fixed the fault ???
Old 12-20-2019, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Leonardo Mucherino
have you fixed the fault ???
Well, I found out that 3 of the cylinders had around 85 psi, while the other 5 had 160 :/

Then the engine sheered the distributor gear, yet the mechanic could not figure why, so I had the savings,

I ended up putting a new 302 HO long block crate motor from blueprint engines. Runs excellent, did not realize how much power I was lacking.

Anyway, bought new distributor assembly, and I still have a random mis at idle, does not happen all the time, probably about one in Every 4th stop light. And dime times it misses a bit harder under low acceleration, like the engine looses spark for an instant. with MSD Blaster coil, new TFI module and distributor, wires, everything I'm stumped.

Quick Reply: HO 302 in 87 f150