Topic Sponsor

Exhaust questions for header instal. Fitment??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions for header instal. Fitment??

Hey again guys. About to do full exhaust overhaul. I'd like to.know how I can be sure that the shorty headers I buy will fit the geometry of my stock Y-pipe.

Truck is. 1991 F150 reg cab, short bed, 2wd, auto with E4OD, 302.

When looking for headers, I've found tons that say will fit the 302. But they're all mostly mustang guys. How can I be sure the ones I get will be factory fit with the existing Y-pipe?

Also, if anyone has a good set of shortys with a matching Y-pipe, I'd be interested.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Ohhh, glad you asked this question cause this is one of my projects this year. Please let me know what type you get and follow up with how you did it! It would benefit a lot on this forum cause I think it's been asked before.

What I'm interested in is how to attach the dipstick afterwards. I think mine is attached to where the ignition module bracket is but the thickness of the manifolds holds the long vertical support for the dipstick bracket.

And on the passenger side, there seems to be a rigid hose running in between the wheel well and the manifolds. Looks like you can just slip it under the truck on the passenger side but what do I know.

I have read that most of these shorties fit right into the Y-pipe but would be good to see what people actually buy. I live in CA so I'll need a 50 state legal type.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Bassani equal length headers with the matching y pipe are going to be your best bet. But it isn't cheap.

Generally speaking, any set of shorty headers that say they are compatible with your engine and year should match up to the stock y pipe. But to be honest, I would replace the y pipe before I replace the manifolds. The stock y pipe is the major design flaw in our exhaust systems.

I spent a lot of time researching it and in the end I would go with your headers of choice and then have an exhaust shop fabricate the rest. Otherwise the bassani setup mentioned previously and good 3" cat back exhaust will do the trick.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a set of Summit/pace setter cheapos on for about five years now and the bolted right up to the factory y pipe.
I recomend with any header instal using Stage 8 header fasteners. I went through two sets of gaskets in a year now after installing the fasteners I haven't had to change them since.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I ran BBK shorty headers. search their website for the correct part number for your application. I had a bassani y pipe for the 5.8 on my bronco and was happy with it, however i ended up having my exhaust guy make the y-pipe for my f-150. they are not interchangeable because the 5.8 has a taller deck height than a 302.

from my understanding, any 302 mustang headers will not work with the factory y pipe.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought this setup and I am still hooking it all together. The headers went on great. I ground the bracket on the EFI and slid it under a header bolt as well as the dipstick. Working on a alternate for the coil. I bought the set of header reducers with the single O2 sensor but if you can weld just do it yourself. Jim
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-cbjj218