Topic Sponsor

Crate Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crate Engine

What would be the best crate engine for a 92 5.0? I don't want anything extravagant. Want to get rid of the computer controls. Plan on using an A4OD trans. Looking for around 300-400 hp. I know some crates say they are for cars. I am just looking for recommendations from someone that might have changed their's.

Last edited by racer23; 05-08-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-09-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

A crate engine comes from the original engine factory - the same supplier as for the assembly line. But very few assembly-line engine suppliers offer those engines as crate kits directly to consumers. And since the smallblock 5.0L hasn't been produced for nearly 2 decades, it's NOT available as a crate. Only as a remanufactured (rebuilt) long-block or short-block from any number of rebuilders; or as a used assembly from any junkyard that has one.

So the "best" replacement engine for a '92 5.0L is probably a Jasper reman '87-95 5.0L. Search locally for a Jasper dealer. If you pay a pro to install it, it'll probably have ~3 years'/30Kmi warranty.

Deleting the computer is both illegal (if you plan to drive it again on any public road) & counterproductive. It'll run better, cost less to operate, make more power, and last longer with its original or newer computer controls.

A4OD is not a Ford transmission. There's an E4OD (electronic), and an AOD (mechanical), among many others.

What do you plan to do with this truck that requires 400hp? That would be RIDICULOUSLY extravagant.

I've changed several vehicles to use newer, more-powerful engines, and they all run very well because I kept the newest control systems working as-designed.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a mechanic and I know that the Speed Density system on this truck doesn't take well to mods. I want a little more horsepower out of the engine. I have a Jasper engine in it that has had coolant seeping out of one of the freeze plugs since it was installed along with a misfire that developed after the warranty. the plug in cylinder 6 gets oil fouled after about 1000 miles. So, I really don't want to go back with a Jasper engine. The transmission that I want is the mechanical version of the E4OD, which I guess is the AOD. I hate the computer controls on this thing, so I want to go old school. It is out of emissions, so I don't have to worry about that.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

A speed-density system can be modified just like a MAF. But they run MUCH better when they're NOT modified. I took the engine in my truck from one that had been totalled with ~120Kmi. It now has ~860Kmi in its 3rd chassis, and runs like-new, never having been rebuilt.

Exactly how little more hp do you want? My engine makes ~140hp.

(phone app link)

If the engine had problems from the get-go, why did you wait until the warranty ran out?

The mechanical predecessor to the E4OD is the C6.

Old school is called "old" for a reason - it sucks.

Emissions laws never run out, and they apply everywhere.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

All the shows on tv seem to cut off at about 1983 for trucks used for a build, Chev is the most popular.
Point being is that is done for a few reasons. A 1983 or older vehicle can have the emission devices removed and as long as it passes the tail pipe emission test it's okay. Switching over to carbed or ls system on our trucks would be very costly as everything is very integrated.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Creb Engineering http://www.crebengineering.com/
I have spoken with Jeramme on several occasions and he'll answer any questions you have.
They will build anything you want and seem to be a legit outfit from all the research i have done.
You can also buy/build some pretty good horsepower and torque AND still use the SD computer.
Here's a wealth of information on builds using the SD computer: https://www.f150forum.com/f10/bit-in...276512/index4/

If I was going to do away with the SD stuff, I think I'd put a regular intake manifold on and use a FI Tech or Holley Throttle body fuel injection.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Quick Reply: Crate Engine